EXERCISE Ή 280. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct past tense form.
1. John asked not to call him that afternoon. He . (finish) some important work.
2. I was really out of breath because I . (run).
3. When we got acquainted they . (think) of buying a new house, but they . (not decide) where.
4. He . (stand) by the map when the door noiselessly . (open) and the general . (come in).
5. Linnet . (look) at the carriage clock on the living-room mantelpiece. It . (say) five forty. Twenty minutes to wait before Simon . (arrive). She . (come) home from the store far too early, and now she . (not/know) quite where to put herself.
6. The air-company . (refund) a great deal of money to angry customers after their flights . (be cancelled).
7. Though they . (clear) all snow off the motorways there were a lot of traffic accidents.
8. Not many people . (go) to church when I was young.
9. When I arrived at the reunion, most people . (chat) in small groups.
10. The kids were not up yet, so Jane . (enjoy) the peace and quiet.
11. He invited me to the restaurant he . (visit) for the last few months.
12. After she . (shower), . (do) her makeup and . (dress), Emma . (make) a sudden decision. She would endeavour to reach Larry one more time.
13. I . (wonder) if you . (make) a long-term plans, and by that I mean do you have any other products up your sleeve as well as the perfume, the toilet water and the body creams?
14. He checked his mobile phone, which he . (leave) on the desk recharging, and . (find) messages from Linnet and Jack, made about half an hour earlier.
AROUND THE FUTURE
EXERCISE Ή 281. Do the matching and explain the use of the will-forms in the following sentences.
The car wont start!
impossibility as refusal (negative)
He will always make noise when we are sleeping.
She is wet through, but she wont change.
Rain will continue throughout the day.
Dont worry, everything will be alright.
I want to help him and I will.
The Peruvian football team will go to the next world cup.
You will drink your milk!
You will come with me! Why? I dont want to.
Oops, I dropped my pencil. - I'll pick it up.
He is a stubborn man. He wont give in an inch.
Will you say it again?
Just think of it. Oh yes, I will.
Will you come this way, please?
Ill tell your parents what you did!
You will do exactly as I say! You will drink your milk!
Shell take French classes twice a week.
Be careful, Cathy! I will.
Will you please close the window?
The wedding will take place on May 8th. The ceremony will begin at 4pm, followed by a meal and a big party.
People wont go to Jupiter before the 22nd century.
Ive tried to advise her but she wont listen.
Will you have a cup of tea?
EXERCISE Ή 282. Make orders more polite. Use the model.