1. He seemed ___ all about influenza and said _____ was nothing ____ about.
a) to know, it, to worry
b) to be knowing, there, worrying
c) to know, there, to worry
d) to have known, it, to have been worried
2. She put down her book ___ me ____; and ____ me ____ took her workbasket and sat into one of the old-fashioned armchair.
a) to see, coming in, have welcomed, as usually
b) having seen, to come in, welcoming, usually
c) on seeing, come in, having welcomed, as usual
d) after seeing, having come in, to welcome, in a usual way
3. I don’t object _____ there, but I don’t want _______.
a) to your living, you living
b) you to live, your living
c) your living, you to live
d) to your living, you to live
4. I remember ____ that hill in twilight. An age seemed _____ since the day that brought me first to London.
a) descending, to have elapsed
b) to have descended, to have elapsed
c) to descend, to elapse
d) being descended, to be elapsed
5. He stood invisible at the top of the stairs ___ Irene ____ the letters _____ by the ______ post.
a) to watch, to sort, bringing, latest
b) watching, sorting, brought, last
c) having watched, sorting, having brought, last
d) being watched, having sorted, to have been brought, last
6. On his way home Andrew could not help _____ what ___ charming fellow Ivory had turned out.
a) to reflect, a, to be
b) being reflected, the, have been
c) reflecting, the, be
d) reflecting, a, to be
7. I wouldn’t like _________ because I am afraid _______.
a) drive fast, crashing
b) to drive fast, of crashing
c) driving fastly, to crash
d) to be driven faster, to be crashed
8. ______ paper is said _________ by _________ Chinese.
a) — to have been invented, the
b) the, to have been invented,
c) —, to have invented, —
d) the, to be invented, the
9. There is no point to –– him. He is _____ last man in the world _____ by any such circumstances.
a) to speak, the, to trouble
b) to speak,__, being troubled
c) speaking, a, be troubled
d) in speaking, the, to be troubled
10. It’s high time you ______ like that. He is fond ____ fun of everybody.
a) get used to him to behave, to make
b) used to his behaving, about making
c) got used to his behaving, of making
d) used to behave, to make
11. He felt ___ something from him and demanded ____ _____ truth. He wasn’t worth ____ _____ lie.
a) them to hide, to tell, the, telling, the
b) them hiding, they will tell, a, to tell, a
c) they were hiding, telling, the, telling, a
d) they hide, telling, a, telling, the
12. — — words about the author himself, the lecturer went on — of his works.
a) after saying, a few, to speak
b) saying, few, to speak
c) having said, few, speaking
d) to have said, a few, speaking
13. She was looking forward to _____ the leading part _____ that she was greatly _____ at not even ______ it.
a) giving, playing, disappointing, being offered
b) to be given, to play, disappointed, to be offered
c) being given, to play, disappointed, being offered
d) give, playing, disappointed, offering
14. Did you remember ______ the parcel I gave you? –Yes, I remember ______ it a week ago.
a) to post, posting
b) to post, to post
c) posting, to post
d) posting, posting
15. You _____ go and check everything by yourself unless you ____ it.
a) would better, want him to do it
b) had rather, don’t want his doing
c) had better, want him to do it
d) would rather, don’t want him to do
16. The accused men _____ near the bank during the robbery. It’s no use _______ the case without direct ____.
a) deny being somewhere, investigating, evidence
b) denies to be anywhere, to investigate, evidences
c) deny being anywhere, investigating, evidence
d) denies to be somewhere, to investigate, evidences
17. You ____ your children ________ their own way.
a) are to let, to go
b) have letting, going
c) have to let, go
d) are to let, gone
18. I suggest _____ as soon as possible. I ____ before sunset.
a) us to start, would rather to come
b) our starting, had rather come
c) us starting, would prefer to come
e) our starting, would rather come
19. I am afraid ____ to him. What if he really has the power to stop ___ there, and means _______ them against me?
a) to speak, me go, to turn
b) of speaking, my going, turning
c) to speak, my going, to turn
d) speaking, me going, to turn
20. He’s always regretted _____ school so young. He has not got enough qualifications and education. Unfortunately he often receives letters ____ with “Dear sir, we regret ____ you that your application was turned