COMMON SUFFIXES to indicate a person's job, interest, or personal characteristic
vegetarian researcher surveyor theorist
Essential Academic Vocabulary
Match the words in the chart with the following descriptions.
1. designerA person who makes plans for clothes, furniture, and so on
2. Someone who translates from one language into another
3. A person who writes books
4. A person or team that has a good chance of winning a contest or an
5. Someone who deals with numerical variables
6. A person who does not eat meat
7. ____________ A person who directs
8. Someone who runs a business or program
9. A person who provides assistance for legal problems
10. ____________ A person who does things in his or her own way
11. ____________ _ A person who develops ideas on a subject
ES Defining a Term
Find an article on the Internet about one of the following topics. (Note: Many colleges and universities have websites that address these issues.)
Write a short paragraph that defines the topic you chose. Include several appropriate details to make your definition clear.
Chapter 3 Student Housing 31
Write a response to oneof the following topics. Include at least six to eight vocabulary wordsin your paragraph.
1. Choosing an appropriate roommate can be more difficult than it seems. Your best friend might not be the most appropriate roommate. How can you make sure that your experience living with a roommate is a positive one? Have you had any good or bad experiences with roommates? What issues should a person think about when looking for a roommate?
2. What are the disadvantages and advantages of living in a college dorm? Consider such issues as privacy, noise, roommates, bathrooms, cafeteria food, and room design. Should all college students be required to live in a dorm for at least one year? Why or why not? What advice could you give someone who is about to move into a dorm?
iZJ Partner Activity: Choosing an Apartment
Discuss with a partner the housing options below.
What type of resident is each housing unit designed for?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each housing unit?
Which one would you select? Give five reasons for your choice.
Which one would you definitely not want to rent? Why not?
Newly constructed! Terrific location!
2 or 3 bedrooms
attractively designed rooms
close to campuseverything v/ithin walking distance