1. The education a child receives at home from having parents who are positive role models is more important than the academic education a child receives at school. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. Some people believe in the traditional idea that the woman’s place is in the home, while others say that idea is outdated and that women should play an increasingly important role in the workplace of the future. What is your opinion?
3. In many countries there has been an increase in social problems involving teenagers in recent years. Many people believe that this is due to modern lifestyles because parents spend more and more time at work and have less time to supervise their children. To what extent do you believe this is true? (sample essay to download)
4. People are now living longer than ever before and many old people are unable to look after themselves. Some people believe that it is the responsibility of families to look after the elderly, while others say governments should provide retirement homes for them where they can be looked after properly. Discuss.
Modern lifestyles mean that many parents have little time for their children. Many children do not get as much attention from their parents as children did in the past. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (China writing) See my sample essay for useful vocabulary.
Read more: IELTS essay questions: women and the familyDominic Cole's IELTS and Beyond http://www.dcielts.com/writing-2/essays/women-and-the-family/#ixzz2u3kXfe3w Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
Sport and leisure
1. Some people believe that the government should ban dangerous sporting activities while others think that people have the freedom do whatever sports they choose. Discuss both views and give your own opinion Lesson on academic vocabulary including a download of the essay
2. It is commonly thought that it is healthy for adults to maintain an outside interest in order to relax or stay fit. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of 3 of the following sports and pastimes:
3. *tennis *walking *visiting museums *reading *joining a club *going to a gym
4. Many people want their country to host an international sporting event. Others believe that international sporting events bring more problems than benefits. Discuss both views and include your opinion, supported by examples.
5. Some people believe that competitive sports have a positive effect on children’s education, while others believe there is no place for such sports in schools. Discuss both points of view and give your own opinion.
6. In many countries people working in sport and entertainment earn much more money than professionals like doctors, nurses and teachers. Why do you think this happens in some societies and do you consider it is good or bad? (China writing)
Read more: Sample IELTS essays questions: sport and leisureDominic Cole's IELTS and Beyond http://www.dcielts.com/writing-2/essays/sport-and-leisure/#ixzz2u3kpD0X1 Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives