SPORTS AND GAMES IN KAZAKHSTAN
People all over the world are fond of sports and games. Sport makes people healthy, keeps them fit, more organized and better disciplined. It unites people of different classes and nationalities.
Many people in Kazakhstan do sports on their personal initiative. They go in for skiing, skating, boxing, table tennis (Ping-Pong), swimming, volleyball, football, bodybuilding, etc. All necessary facilities are provided for them: stadiums, sport grounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, skiing stations, football fields. Sport is paid much attention to in our educational establishments. Gymnastics is a part of children's daily activity in the kindergartens. Physical culture is a compulsory subject at schools and colleges.
Professional sport is also paid much attention to in our republic. There are different sporting societies clubs and complexes. They are used for international and world competitions. The most popular sport in Kazakhstan is boxing.
Kazakh boxers are generally well known in the world. In last three Olympic Games their performance was assessed as one of the best and they had more medals than any country in the world except Cuba and Russia (in all three games). In 1996 and 2004, two Kazakh boxers (Vasiliy Jirov in 1996 and Bakhtiyar Artayev in 2004) were recognized as the best boxers for their techniques with the Val Barker trophy, awarded to the best boxer of the tournament.
Kazakh boxers performed well in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Two boxers, Bekzat Sattarkhanov and Yermakhan Ibraimov, earned gold medals. Other two boxers, Bulat Jumadilov and Mukhtarkhan Dildabekov, earned silver medals.
1. What does sport help people do?
2. What sports are popular in Kazakhstan?
3. What is the most popular sport in Kazakhstan?
4. Will you name the most popular boxers?
5. What is your favorite sport?
Ø Complete the sentences:
1. People all over the world are __ sports and games.
2. Many people in Kazakhstan do sports on their personal __.
3. __ is a part of children's daily activity in the kindergartens.
4. Physical education is a __ subject at schools and colleges.
5. There are different sporting __ clubs and complexes.
6. Kazakh boxers are generally __ in the world.
7. Two boxers, Bekzat Sattarkhanov and Yermakhan Ibraimov __ gold medals.
8. It keeps a__ in a good form.
Ø Match the picture with the word:
a b c
d e f g h i j
1. Skiing 2. Skating 3. Boxing 4. Table tennis (Ping-Pong) 5. Swimming
6. Volleyball 7. Football 8. Gymnastics 9. Gymnastics 10. Judo 11. Basketball
PART XIII: KAZAKH NATIONAL GAMES
Date: 2015-01-12; view: 2754