Exercise 1. Interpersonal Skills.
1. A leader has the ability to influence others through qualities such as personal ........., expertise, command of language, and the creation of mutual respect – all of which require strong interpersonal skills.
a) Aura; b) charisma; c) élan; d) machismo.
2. Interpersonal skills include the ability to ......... and manage the emotions, motivations, and behaviors of oneself and others during social interactions or in a social-interactive context.
a) Feel; b) read; c) suss; d) view.
3. Those who have interpersonal skills are able to manage their behavior during social interactions and align their goals to the goals of others during ......... activities.
a) Cohesive; b) collaborative; c) collocational; d) concessive.
4. They are able to empathize and are sensitive to the needs of others and to the forces that ......... the way that others feel and behave.
a) Bend; b) mar; c) mend; d) shape.
5. They manage conflict effectively by devising win-win solutions, constructively influencing the behavior of others, and using effective communication and .........strategies.
a) Enforcement; b) evasive; c) performance; d) persuasive.
6. Many have wondered how it happens that persons with high IQs don't always......... the top jobs: the answer often lies in interpersonal skills.
a) Land; b) leave; c) sack; d) seize.
7. Modern teamwork often brings together individuals from diverse groups who may not share common norms, values, or ......... but who do offer unique expertise, insights, and perspectives.
a) Accommodations; b) cubicles; c) salaries; d) vocabularies.
8. E-mail, voice mail, audioconferencing and videoconferencing, and the myriad other technologies that enable individuals to communicate with each other not only increase the ways in which individuals can interact but also require a heightened sensitivity to the ......... of interpersonal interactions.
a) Innuendos; b) naivete; c) nuances; d) repartee.
9. This idea is particularly true in the worlds of virtual learning and virtual communication, where one cannot yet use hand gestures, facial expressions, or body ......... to fully express ideas.
a) Language; b) movement; c) poses; d) positions.
10. The challenge is to ......... interpersonal skills not only in face-to-face interactions but in virtual interactions as well.
a) Perfect; b) perform; c) produce; d) project.
Date: 2015-01-12; view: 669