Chemistry is the science which deals with materials, their properties and the transformations they undergo. So chemistry is the study of the composition and properties of matter, their changes, the conditions under which such changes take place, and the energy changes which accompany them.
Chemistry is concerned with the nature of fire and the structure of water, it deals with colours, catalysis and crystal structure, with physical properties and chemical reactivity.
Chemistry is one of the fundamental sciences. It plays an important part in the development of biochemistry, physics, geology and many other fields of science. Chemistry’s origin goes back to ancient times, with the manufacture of bronze, iron, ceramics, glass.
Everyone now understands the importance of chemistry. The future of chemistry is practically unlimited. Rapid development of chemical industry will make it possible to create many new goods, machines, plastics, polymers; it will help to understand many new phenomena.
In your study of chemistry you will learn many things about substances, compounds, materials, chemical and physical changes, chemical properties, reactions and many other interesting and important things. It is to be remembered that:
1. Chemistry is the study of substances, their structure, properties, and their reactions.
2. Matter exists as solids, liquids, or gases.
3. Homogeneous material is material with the same properties throughout.
4. Heterogeneous material is material consisting of parts with different properties.
5. Compound is a substance that can be decomposed into two or more substances.
6. Substance is a homogeneous species of matter with definite chemical composition.
7. Chemical reactions are the processes that convert substances into other substances.
8. Alloy is a metallic material containing two or more elements.
Words to be remembered:
to deal with heterogeneous
to undergo chemical composition
origin to convert
compound to contain
Date: 2015-01-12; view: 1395