Increase / lead / create / threaten / result / damage / cause / reduce
1. High level of pollution
.. wildlife and human health.
2. Using public transport rather than private cars
.. air pollution.
3. Lack of trees and intensive farming
.. a dust bowl.
4. A pleasant environment
.. positive feelings and emotions.
5. Improved carburetors
.. toxic fumes.
6. Certain European industries
.. the environment.
7. A reduction in water quality
.. to a crisis in fishing.
8. Air pollution
.. from a variety of causes.
2.5. Match the parts of the sentences.
| 1. If the woodlands continue to be damaged
|| a) but in a concentrated form it can kill animals.
| 2. Carbon dioxide is a normal component of the atmosphere,
|| b) and many big cities have taken measures to decrease the level of urban noise.
| 3. If a species becomes extinct,
|| c) if the air is polluted.
| 4. At a level of 80 decibels sound is annoying,
|| d) and millions of ordinary people understand this too.
| 5. Pollution may begin as water moves through the air,
|| e) it will threaten the ecological balance in Europe.
| 6. Ocean dumping creates water pollution
|| f) it cannot be brought back.
| 7. In 1986 the Chernobyl nuclear power plant suffered a fire
|| g) and destroys marine habitat.
| 8. We need a cleaner, healthier planet
|| h) resulting in a major release of radioactive particles.
2.6. Choose the correct item.
1. Greenpeace is going to release a(n)
.. on water pollution.
a) edition b) issue c) publicity d) report
2. Zoologists work hard to
.. endangered species.
a) protect b) shelter c) cover d) support
3. The tropical
.. of Africa need to be protected from destruction.
a) regions b) states c) places d) sites
4. To improve the
.. of the water, use a water purification tablet.
a) standard b) amount c) quantity d) quality
5. Acid rain has caused a lot of
.. to Europes trees.
a) wreck b) ruin c) damage d) disaster
6. Five world leaders are due to attend the
.. meeting in London.
a) tip b) top c) summit d) peak
2.7.Read these sentences (1-10) and then use the words in bold to complete the sentences below (a-j).
1. Exhaust fumes from cars are responsible for much of the air pollution in cities.
2. Many factories still allow pollutants, such as toxic waste, to flow into our rivers.
3. We should put our old newspapers and bottles in recycling bins.
4. Ecology is the relationship between plants, animals, people and their environment.
5. Scientists are concerned about the size of the hole in the ozone layer, as ozone helps stop harmful radiation entering the Earths surface.
6. Organizations like Friends of the Earth are often referred to as greenorganizations.
7. People who live in the countryside live in a rural environment.
8. People who live in towns and cities live in an urban environment.
9. Dinosaurs became extinct millions of years ago; there will never be dinosaurs again.
10. Global warming is the theory that the worlds average temperature is increasing.
.. continues, the polar ice caps will start melting and the sea level will rise.
b) Some aerosol cans give off ΡFΡ gases which enter the atmosphere and destroy the
c) If we dont protect endangered species, they may become
.. is important because it means that factories have to produce less new plastic, glass and paper.
e) The filter prevents dangerous
... from entering the atmosphere through the chimney.
f) Some children in
.. environments dont realize that milk comes from cows!
g) Electric cars dont produce any
.. so they are much cleaner.
h) Im a very
.. person; I recycle, use public transport, and care about the environment.
i) Until the Industrial Revolution, most Europeans had a very
.., agricultural way of life.
.. of rainforests changes when trees are cut down.
2.8. Read the 4 short texts and answer the questions:
1. Which text:
● says about the influence of exhaust fumes?
● gives information about radioactive pollution?
● worries about infertile lands?
2. What plants can survive only in clean air?
3. What are special electronic signs designed for?
4. How do you understand the phrase: to combat a problem?
Date: 2016-04-22; view: 654