Home Random Page


CATEGORIES:

BiologyChemistryConstructionCultureEcologyEconomyElectronicsFinanceGeographyHistoryInformaticsLawMathematicsMechanicsMedicineOtherPedagogyPhilosophyPhysicsPolicyPsychologySociologySportTourism






STUDYING AT LVIV POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY

Text 1.

The campus of Lviv State Polytechnic University is situated not far from the city centre. There are 27 teaching buildings, some old and some modern. The location of the University in Stepan Bandera Street has the advantage of close proximity to the main railway and bus stations, the retail food market, catering services and shops.

As the majority of the University buildings are concentrated on a single campus, all departments are within about five minutes’ walk of one another. When you feel like taking a break, or wish to meet friends or relax after a day’s work, everything is on hand here - cafes, the Students’ Club and social events are found on the campus too.

The history of Lviv Polytechnic University began in the year 1844, with the foundation of its forerunner the Lviv Technical Academy, one of the oldest colleges of technology in Europe and the first in the Ukrainian lands.

Julian Zakharevych, the architect who was commissioned to design what is today the main building of the University, also became rector when these new premises were opened at the beginning of the academic year in 1877. On the facade of this building, which is of elegant classical design, a Latin inscription reads “Litteris et Artibus” (To Literature and the Arts). At this time, the new name of Polytechnic College was adopted. In 1920 it became Lviv Polytechnic and then in 1939 Lviv Polytechnic Institute.

On August 24th 1991, Ukraine was proclaimed an independent democratic state. In 1993 the Institute was designated as a University, with the title of Lviv State Polytechnic University. Our University is one of the leading advanced teaching and research centres in Ukraine. Its research activity is based on a long academic tradition. Agreements on co-operation in the fields of research and the introduction of new technologies have been reached with a number of universities in the USA, Canada, Britain, Germany, France, Austria and other countries.

The University is governed by an Academic Board which is chaired by the Rector and which includes student representatives.

There are 19 faculties, offering courses in 52 subject areas, the principal of which are the following:

Applied mathematics,

Architecture,

Automation and integrated computer technology,

Chemical technology,

Civil engineering and building,

Computer science,

Computer systems, automation and control engineering,

Computer technology,

Economics,

Electrical engineering,

Electrical mechanics,

Electronic devices,

Electronics,

Environmental engineering,

Food technology,

Geodesy, cartography and land management,

Laser technology and opto-electronics,

Management,

Mechanical engineering,

Metrology and measurement,

Military specialisms,

Power engineering,

Radio engineering,

Telecommunications,

Transport engineering,

Welding.

A modular system of academic programmes has been introduced, following the example of the world’s leading technological universities. In addition to engineering degrees in various specialisms, these programmes lead to the degrees of Bachelor and Master. It takes four years to complete a course leading to the degree of Bachelor, five years to gain the degree of Engineer and six years to gain the Master’s.



There are opportunities to study modern languages. The Department of Foreign Languages, which belongs to the Institute of Humanities Education, offers courses in English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese. Advanced students may defend their diploma projects in a foreign language.

The University provides the requisite teaching, research and recreation facilities for its daytime and distance learning students, postgraduates, lecturers and other staff.

There are numerous spacious lecture theatres, laboratories, study rooms with up to date equipment, a computer centre, design studios etc.

The academic library is one of the largest university libraries in Ukraine. Its two buildings are on adjacent sites at the heart of the University campus. The library now contains over two million titles and it provides 1,600 study places. Many University students, including those from abroad, live in a students’ village consisting of 15 halls of residence, within walking distance from the campus. A club, a medical centre, a hospital and other services are available there.

Many students participate in amateur cultural groups. The “Prosvita” cultural association is very active in promoting Ukrainian culture. There are nine amateur groups, including a symphony orchestra, a choir, a dance group, a staff male voice choir, and music and song groups. A cultural festival called the “Polytechnic Spring” is held, annually.

The University’s sporting achievements are well known. Physical education is provided for students of all years. There are two physical education buildings with nine specialised sports halls, a swimming pool, skiing facilities, a summer sports ground etc. There are also University sports and recreation centres on the Black Sea coast, where students can spend their summer vacations. A recreation centre in the Carpathian mountains caters for summer recreation, winter sports, skiing and tourism.

The University has a proud record of achievement in teaching and research and in cultural, artistic and sporting activities and it is highly rated by our young people.

Admission to the University is highly competitive. Ukrainian students need to possess a certificate of secondary education and they have to sit an entrance examination and achieve high marks in order to be admitted. The students come from all over Ukraine and there are also international students from many parts of the world.

A survey by the Canadian Association of Engineers has rated Lviv Polytechnic University among the 20 most authoritative universities of its kind in the world. We pride ourselves in being at the forefront of educational innovation in Ukraine.

Text 2.

Laboratories

In earlier days, people called places intended for carrying out experiments “workshops”. There they prepared drugs, made technological inventions or even tried to discover “a philosopher’s stone”, as alchemists did. Some people thought them to be practising black magic, and destroyed their workshops. By the way, Isaac Newton is sometimes called the last alchemist and the first scientist.

At present, the word “laboratory” (from Latin “laboro”, i.e. “I work”) is used to denote any room or building intended for experimental investigation in technologies and sciences for the ščōīāå of advancing man’s knowledge. The word “laboratory” is also used to denote the work-room of a chemist, or special premises at an industrial enterprise or research institute for designing and testing new devices.

Among the most famous laboratories of the world we can mention the laboratory of the Royal Institution established in Britain in 1800 and devoted to applied and pure sciences. Such outstanding scholars as M. Faraday and I. Tyndall carried out experiments there.

The first physics laboratories founded for students appeared in 1846. Work in laboratories has been introduced into educational process at secondary and higher schools to teach scientific and technical knowledge by means of experimental activity. Besides, it enables students to learn how to handle the most sophisticated equipment and to master modern research methods.

Text 3.


Date: 2016-04-22; view: 4492


<== previous page | next page ==>
B Choose the correct item. | ENGINEERING PROFESSION
doclecture.net - lectures - 2014-2019 year. Copyright infringement or personal data (0.002 sec.)