For the 4th year students majoring in “Management”
1. What are some typical characteristics of business communication?
2. What are the parts of a communication model? Explain and analyze each part.
3. Distinguish between speaking to inform and speaking to persuade. Is there always a firm dividing between the two kinds of talks?
4. What are advantages and disadvantages of holding business meetings? What arrangements are necessary to make the meeting successful?
5. Describe several causes of poor listening. Describe a set of behaviors an effective listener should obtain. Why should we make these behaviors into habits? How can we remain and reinforce these habits?
6. What are strategic steps to communicate information most effectively?
7. Carefully define 'paraphrase' and 'plagiarize' in the process of writing. Under what circumstances are you permitted to use information without citing the source from which you obtained it?
8. You are going to a group interview to choose candidates for an exchange program with another university or in another country. How can you make yourself memorable in a positive way? Why are first impressions in the job interview very important?
9. Are there any problems with using phone communication in business? Etiquette points to be used in communicating by phone.
10. What are the steps in writing indirect messages? How do they differ from those for direct business messages?
11. Describe a typical business audience's attitude toward, and expectations of, a business writer. What audience analysis must business writers perform?
12. How can business writers become mature stylists? What must you consider when choosing a writing style?
13. What information will you need to collect in order to find a job that suits your qualifications?
14. What is the structure of direct messages? What steps should you follow in the writing process using a direct organizational plan?
15. Explain the differences between formal and informal communication networks in organizations.
16. Enumerate the main characteristics of efficient, businesslike style in writing different messages.
17. Explain when you will use a letter in business correspondence and when you will use a memo. What is the primary difference between them?
18. What is the definition of a business report? Explain the distinction between primary and secondary business research.
19. What kinds of job interview questions do you know? What kinds of interviewers do you know? What kinds of interviews do you know?
20. What are advantages and disadvantages of electronic correspondence? Rules of etiquette in electronic correspondence.
21. In what cases do we need to convey negative information? Why should we give priority to the human considerations when conveying negative information?
22. What types of reports do you know? How do they differ?
23. What are the major sources of information when searching for a job? How will you find more information on the companies than those sources available to you?
24. What information will you include in your resume? What information will you cover in your cover letter in addition to the resume? Give enough detail so that a reader can see why you are well suited for it.
25. Who is the best/the worst listener you know? List his or her behaviors as a listener. What strategies for obtaining good listening skills do you know?
26. In your experience, what nonverbals are hardest for beginning speakers to control? Why? What suggestions can you make to help control them?
27. What are the ways of conveying negative information? What should you bear in mind when creating effective negative messages?
28. What are the structural elements of business letters? Do these elements differ in various types of business letters?
29. What should you take into consideration when planning your business report?
30. What are the requirements for writing a good resume and a cover letter to apply for a job with a large corporation?
31. What distinguishes observational research from survey research when collecting information for a business report?
32. What is it necessary to know if you want successfully negotiate salary during a job interview? What standard benefits do some companies offer?
33. Why do cultural differences pose a growing challenge for managers in international business?
34. How can competent communicators use technology to full advantage in business communication?
35. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the grapevine? How can inappropriate behavior create barriers to communication?
36. Why are listening skills important for effective oral communication in business?
37. The ability to write effective short reports will be a key to success in your business career. Why?
38. What communication skills are crucial to success in business? Why is it worth the trouble to become a good business communicator?
39. Why is tone and attitude towards the reader of the business report as important as the information conveyed?
40. What are some common negative or sensitive situations that occur in business communication? What are the ways of handling them?