TASK 5. Complete the sentences with a suitable form of the verbs in brackets, adding negative forms where necessary.
1. My head is killing me! If only the children _________ (to stop) yelling! - Ill ask them to be quiet.
2. I wish John _________ (to listen) to my advice. - You should try talking to him again.
3. I wish you _________ (to pay) more attention to your teacher's instructions yesterday. - But I did, Mum.
4. If only we _________ (to attend) the performance of Romeo and Juliet yesterday. - We could go on Saturday if you like.
5. I wish I _________ (to know) how to cook. - Don't worry, I'll teach you.
6. If only you _________ (to be) here, Mum! - Don't worry, I'll be there tomorrow.
7. Will Sue be going with you to New York? - She wishes she _________ (to come), but unfortunately she's very busy at the moment.
8. If only people _________ (not/ to throw) their rubbish in the streets. - Fortunately, the town council is setting up a campaign next month.
9. I wish the boss _________ (to explain) exactly what he wants me to do every day. - Why don't you ask him to be more clear?
10. I wish you _________ (to help) me with the housework more often. - I'm sorry. I'll try to do so from now on.
11. I wish they _________ (to study) more. Their exams start soon. - Don't worry. I'm sure everything will be fine.
12. If only I _________ (not/ to forget) to post that letter. - Never mind. You can post it tomorrow instead.
13. If only George _________ (to be) more careful while checking his test, he _________ (not/to miss) that mistake.
TASK 6. Fill in the gaps with an appropriate auxiliary verb. Follow the example.
Example: I'm not very tall, but wish I was/were.
1. She doesn't understand Maths, but she wishes she _________.
2. He can't ride a horse, but he wishes he _________.
3. I haven't got a house of my own, but I wish I _________.
4. They probably won't lend me the money, but I wish they _________.
5. We didn't go to the wedding, but we wish we _________.
6. He can't speak German fluently, but he wishes he _________.
7. I'm not very artistic, but I wish I _________.
8. She hasn't got any sisters, but she wishes she _________.
9. They didn't see the play, but they wish they _________.
10. I havent seen this film yet, but I wish I _________.
11. I wont be able to attend this lecture, but I wish I _________.
12. She didnt drive carefully enough, but she wishes she _________.
13. The rain isnt going to stop, but I wish _________.
TASK 7. Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
My brother Kevin has always been a fitness fanatic. He believes that if you _________ (1 to look) after your body, it _________ (2 - to look) after you. Whenever anyone _________ (2 - to be) ill, he _________ (4 to say), 'If they _________ (5 to take) care of themselves, they _________ (6 not/to get) ill. And the same thing _________ (7 to happen) to me if I _________ (8 to keep) fit.
I couldnt understand his obsession with exercising. I would often say to him, 'If I _________ (9 - to be) you, Kevin, I _________ (10 to try) to slow down a little bit. If you _________ (11 not/to do) it, you _________ (12 to wear) yourself out.'
Last month, however, I _________ (13 to feel) unwell and _________ (14 to go) to the doctor's. He _________ (15 to tell) me that I _________ (16 to be) unfit. He _________ (17 to say) that if I _________ (18 - to start) taking regular exercise, I _________ (19 to be) in danger of becoming seriously ill. I _________ (20 to start) going to the gym with Kevin and, after a week, I _________ (21 to say) to him, 'I _________ (22 to feel) much better already. If I _________ (23 to know) how good it _________ (24 to feel) to exercise, I _________ (25 to start) years ago!'
TASK 8. Complete the sentences with a suitable form of the verbs in brackets, adding negative forms where necessary.
1. She _________ (to come) to dinner last Sunday if we _________ (to invite) her.
2. If you _________ (to lock) the door before you left for school, the burglars _________ (not/to get) in.
3. _________ (to be) I you, I _________ (put on) some warmer clothes; its really chilly today.
4. Joan _________ (be able to) come to the party tonight if she _________ (to work).
5. _________ (to hear) any news, I _________ (to tell) you immediately.
6. Stop him right now! He _________ (to ruin) his new shirt if he _________ (to climb) that tree.
7. If Uncle Mark _________ (to be) younger during WW2, he could _________ (to join) the army.
8. She _________ (to stay) at home if she _________ (to know) there would be so much traffic.
9. Should he _________ (to get) this job, he _________ (to be able) to buy his own flat.
10. How silly of me! If I _________ (to put) my keys in my pocket, I _________ (to lose) them.
11. Dont worry. She _________ (to be) here at eight unless she _________ (to lose) her way.
12. If I _________ (to be) you, I _________ (not/ to go) out in this weather.
13. Emily _________ (to call) me yesterday if she _________ (to change) her mind.
14. If you _________ (to like) Tom Cruise, you _________ (to love) this film.
15. We can start laying the table. Dave _________ (to be) home at six o'clock provided he _________ (to catch) the five o'clock bus.
16. Unless we _________ (to book) tickets already, it _________ (to be) possible for us to attend tonight's performance.
17. If Kevin _________ (to tell) his mother what had happened, she_________ (to sort out) the whole misunderstanding long ago.
18. Even if you _________ (to be) to get the job, how _________ (to sell) the house in time?
19. If you _________ (to bring) someone else's book home, you _________ (to return) it to school the next day, don't you?
20. Dont complain. If only you _________ (to behave) less childishly, you _________ (to get) more cooperation from him, instead of his usual response.
21. Unless he _________ (to go) shopping now, there _________ (to be) anything for supper.
22. Even if an interviewer _________ (to try) to put the candidate at ease, it _________ (to be) usually still a very stressful situation.
23. If you _________ (to notice) that the figures were wrong, why _________ (wait) until now to tell me?
24. Kenneth Arnold _________ (to fly) his private aircraft near Mount Rainier in June 1947, we might never _________ (to hear) of Flying Saucers.
25. American space technology would have been different if they _________ (to have access) to alien technology.
26. Unless you can be bothered to look after it night and day, you _________ (to buy) a puppy.
27. Supposing, however, you _________ (to be given) this little puppy, _________ (to let) it die?
28. Provided you _________ (to offer) the students their own bedrooms, we _________ (to be) entirely satisfied.
29. If the students _________ (to tell) us they weren't coming, we _________ (to warn) you.
30. If work on the dam _________ (to begin) on time, it _________ (to finish) by now.
31. If at that time the project _________ (to improve) the environment significantly, people _________ (to object) to paying for it.
32. If Sophie _________ (to have) cosmetic surgery, she _________ (to feel) much better about the shape of her nose now.
33. If I _________ (to know) about the company's difficulties, I _________ (to agree) to work for them.
34. If the marine toad _________ (not to introduce) into Australia at the beginning of the century, native species of wildlife _________ (to survive) in greater numbers.
35. If last year the politicians _________ (to allow) wind turbines to be built, most of them _________ (to build) in Scotland.
TASK 9. Lisa is talking to her tutor about what she might do when she leaves college.Complete the conversation by filling in the gaps with the appropriate form of the verb in brackets.
TUTOR: _________ you (1 - to have) any plans for next year?
LISA: Well, I _________ (2 to travel) if I _________ (3 - can/afford) it. But I _________ (4 to have) any money.
TUTOR: If you _________ (5 to find) a job abroad, _________ you (6 to take) it?
LISA: If it is somewhere I _________ (7 to want) to go, _________ I (8 - to consider/certainly) it carefully.
TUTOR: What about working as an 'au pair'?
LISA: I _________ (9 - to consider/only) that if I _________ (10 to be) sure about the family. If they _________ (11 not to treat) me well, _________ (12 - to be) very miserable.
TUTOR: Yes, I see. You _________ (13 - to have) to be sure to use a reputable agency. We _________ (14 - to have) a list in the office. I _________ (15 to get) you one if you _________ (16 to be) interested.
LISA: Yes, I _________ (17 - to be). Um, if I _________ (18 to decide) to apply, you _________ (19 to give) me a reference?
TUTOR: Of course. Well, I _________ (20 to hope) you _________ (21 to succeed), whatever you _________ (22 - to decide) to do.
LISA: Thank you very much. I _________ (23 to let) you know as soon as I _________ (24 to make up) my mind.