VI. Complete the sentences in a suitable way. (More than one answer may be possible.)
1. She’s got blonde______ . 2. He’s got very pale______ . 3. They’ve both got curly ______ .
4. I’m medium ______ . 5. Her brother has got very broad ______ . 6. He’s got a ruddy _____ . 7. She’s very good- _______ . 8. All of them have got dark ______ . 9. She had an oriental ______ . 10. His wife is a lovely woman in her ______ . 11. She is olive- _______ .
VII. Match the sentences on the right with those on the left.
1. She is not so slender a) Her cheeks are ruddy and fair
as she used to be. in colour.
2. His hair is not so thick as b) She looked pale and thin.
it was in his youth.
3. My mother doesn’t look c) She put it in a bun.
4. She is not so beautiful as d) His hair is thinning.
she was as a young girl.
5. There is little hair left on e) She has put on weight.
6. She looks the very picture f) She looks much younger.
7. I could hardly recognise g) He is getting bald.
Jane when I ran into her
in the street.
8 She didn’t wear her hair h) She looks quite plain now.
loose any more.
long/ thick/curving eyelashes
warm adj kind and friendly in a way that makes other people feel comfortable, e.g. warm eyes/ a warm voice/ a warm smile. Ant. cold
hazeladj greenish-brown in colour
close-setadj near to each other, e.g. close-set eyes/ close-set teeth
deep-seteyesseem to be a long way back into your face
bulging adj sticking out in a round shape, e.g. His eyes were bulging wide with fear.
almond eyes are brown in colour and shaped like almonds (= flat pale nuts with brown skin that taste sweet)
oriental eyes are the kind of eyes that people from the eastern part of the world have, especially people from China or Japan
cross-eyed adj ( used of a person) having eyes that look towards each other
eyelash n [ C usually plural] one of the hairs along the upper and lower edges of your eyes, e.g. She was wearing false eyelashes.
curving adj bending like part of a circle, e.g. She had beautiful long curving eyelashes. Ant.straight
eyebrow n [C] the line of hairs above your eye, e.g. She raised her eyebrows in surprise.
bushy adj bushy hair or fur grows thickly, e.g. bushy eyebrows/ a bushy beard/ a bushy tail
arched adj forming a curved shape, e.g. an arched window/ arched eyebrows
sparseadj apart from each other, e.g.his sparse yellow teeth; Ant.close-set
even adj similar in size and arranged in a level line with equal spaces between, e.g. She smiled, showing her small even teeth. Ant. uneven
false adjmade to look like something real, e.g. false teeth/false hair/false eyelashes
feature n [C usually plural] a part of somebody’s face, such as their eyes, nose etc , e.g. Her eyes were her best feature.
largefeatures are big in size; Ant. smallfeatures
regular adj evenly shaped, with parts or sides of equal size, e.g. He is very handsome, with strong regular features. Ant.irregular
delicate adj attractive and graceful, e.g. She had fine delicate features. Ant.rough
stern adj serious and strict, and showing strong disapproval of somebody’s behaviour, e.g. stern features/ a stern look/a stern voice/ a stern expression