Components of destination image and sample research procedures
Destination brand – Key points:
• A destination brand is the place’s competitive identity. It makes the destination distinctive and differentiates it from all others.
• A destination brand refers to the enduring essence, or core characteristics, of the destination, which comprise its personality and make it distinctive and different from all its competitors.
• A destination brand exists in the eyes of the beholder: it is a dynamic relationship between the destination and how it is perceived by potential customers and visitors.
• A destination brand is the fundamental building block from which all marketing communications and behaviour should flow.
• To be truly effective, there must be harmony between the perceptions of both visitors and residents regarding the destination brand, in terms of the destination’s key assets and the way in which it is presented in marketing communications.