This question, my study, this watch, this rose, that bus, his photo, that child, her toy, that policeman, this glove, that shelf, his box, this teacher, our house, their brother, your radio, this city, that knife, this deer, that roof, my tooth, your umbrella, this play, this foot, her eye.
6. Write the plurals of the words given in brackets to complete these sentences:
1) I cut the cake into (piece). 2) Would you bring the bottle and some (glass), please? 3) Would you like some of these (potato)? 4) He caught several (fish) that afternoon. 5) We saw a cartoon about (cat) and (mouse). 6) It was autumn, and the (leaf) were falling. 7) All the (house) have different coloured (roof). 8) They have some (chicken) and a few (sheep). 9) We use several (process) for painting the (car). 10) Ive read his (book), but I havent seen any of his (play). 11) They visited several (disco) that night. 12) The (man) went in one door and the (woman) went in the other. 13) Would you bring the (knife) and (fork)?
7. Open the brackets and choose the proper form of the verbs:
1) There (is / are) no money in my pocket. 2) What time (is / are) the news on television? 3) Your wages (is / are) good. 4) I know my hair (is / are) beautiful. 5) These swine (is / are) not live. 6) I was here before the gates (is / are) opened. 7) The papers (is / are) dull. 8) The crops (is / are) good this summer. 9) The government usually (consist / consists) of the prime minister and several ministers. 10) This company (was / were) founded in 1975. 11) The police (is / are) investigating the murder. 12) Her clothes (is / are) very fashionable. 13) My trousers (is / are) too long. 14) Gymnastics (is / are) my favourite sport. 15) Italy (is / are) playing Brazil next week. 16) Twenty thousand pounds (was / were) stolen in the robbery. 17) Six miles (is / are) a long way to walk every day. 18) Your advice (is / are) always welcome.
8. Open the brackets and choose the proper form of the verbs:
1) There (is / are) a lot of sheep in the field. 2) The scissors (is / are) very sharp. 3) The information he gave us (is / are) useful. 4) The carrots (is / are) delicious. 5) The youth of today (has / have) many advantages. 6) The opera-glasses (is / are) out of focus. 7) The grapes (is / are) ripe. 8) When the traffic-lights (is / are) red, dont cross the street. 9) The equipment (is / are) too complicated. 10) The stairs (is / are) very old. 11) The acoustics in this room (is / are) very good. 12) (is / are) there any statistics for road accidents? 13) There (is / are) many series of this book. 14) The phenomena (is / are) unusual. 15) The traffic (is / are) very heavy in this street. Be careful! 16) Mathematics (is / are) difficult for me. 17) The knowledge she has got at the university (is / are) very deep. 18) The military (has / have) occupied the house.
9. Rewrite these sentences in the plural making necessary changes:
1) The room is dark. 2) There is a deer on the hill. 3) The leaf is turning yellow. 4) The shop is closed today. 5) A bear is stronger as a wolf. 6) She is a pretty girl of twenty years old. 7) We are going to sell that sheep. 8) Can you see that goose? 9) The book is on the table. 10) This film was interesting. 11) The child has been ill this week. 12) This tooth is giving me some trouble. 13) The dress is new. 14) Ive lost my key. 15) The roof has been damaged. 16) This is Johns pet mouse. 17) Which video do you like best?
10. Rewrite these sentences in the singular making necessary changes:
1) We took the children to the zoo. 2) The days are long in summer. 3) My teeth ache. 4) Do you know the people who live here? 5) There were several beautiful flowers. 6) The women are going shopping now. 7) The mice are grey. 8) These heroes are unknown. 9) Help your mom to carry heavy bags. 10) How much do these cars cost? 11) Buses leave here every hour. 12) Small computers arent cheap. 13) Big cities are always fascinating. 14) They are architects. 15) I like comedies. 16) There are some sandwiches left. 17) Why are these flats so expensive?
1. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) There is apple. 2) Where is post office? 3) Janes uncle is pilot. 4) This is way to railway station. 5) Its long way to bank. 6) There are a lot of flowers in garden. 7) red dress is my sisters. 8) There is some sugar in cup. 9) Open window, please! 10) bottle of water, please! 11) her eyes are grey. 12) Janes parents went to school to speak to the teacher. 13) sea is calm today. 14) The police took him to prison. 15) Do you study law in high school? 16) He always gets up early and goes jogging before going to work. 17) A lot of children dont like school. 18) There is no place like home. 19) Im looking for job. I dont like job I have. 20) Alice is wearing new dress today. dress is nice. 21) This is interesting book. 22) article he is reading at the moment is very interesting. 23) Is bag new? I like it. 24) Kates husband is engineer. his profession is interesting. 25) I need black pen. 26) These are very nice shoes. 27) Put cups on table, please! 28) Do you know where my watch is? 29) There is mistake in sentence. Correct mistake. 30) Can you tell me where stadium is?
2. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) Do you remember name of street where she lived two years ago? 2) He is only person I know at party. 3) All students must learn following rule by heart. 4) He is such clever boy! 5) I dont understand last words. 6) Im going to post office. I must buy stamps. 7) kitchen in my flat is too small. Im looking for flat with larger kitchen. 8) How can I get to station? You must turn to right. 9) He showed me centre of city. 10) She looked out of window and saw same man standing there again. 11) Mary likes going to country for weekend. 12) Lets put table in middle of kitchen. 13) Who is driver of this car? You cant park cars here. 14) man and woman were sitting opposite me. man was American, but I think woman was British. 15) Ted sat down on chair nearest door. 16) Can you turn off light, please? 17) Have you got car? 18) Did Paula get job she applied for? 19) I have to go to bank and then Im going to post office. 20) I dont like going to dentist. 21) Helen works eight hours day, five days week. 22) This morning Ive bought newspaper and magazine. newspaper is in my bag, but I cant remember where Ive put magazine. 23) Can you recommend me good restaurant? 24) My friend live in old house in small village. There is beautiful garden behind house. I would like to have garden like that. 25) I saw accident this morning. car crashed into tree. driver of car wasnt hurt, but car was badly damaged. 26) Would you like apple? 27) Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to airport? 28) We stayed at very nice hotel, but I cant remember name of it. 29) Have you finished with book I lent you? 30) There is supermarket at the end of street I live in.
3. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) My sister has just got job in bank in Manchester. 2) Im sorry. It was mistake of mine. 3) Paris is capital of France. 4) I go to cinema a lot, but I havent been to theatre for ages. 5) Would you like to live in country? 6) hotel we stayed at was very nice hotel. 7) What did you have for breakfast? 8) We had very nice lunch. 9) Did you have nice holiday? Yes, it was best holiday Ive ever had. 10) I lay down on ground and looked up at sky. 11) Sarah spends most of her free time watching television. 12) It was very hot day. It was hottest day of year. 13) Judy had accident last week. She was taken to hospital. Shes still in hospital. Im going to hospital to visit her. 14) When I leave school I want to go to university. 15) Sallys mother goes to church every Saturday. 16) Id like to live near sea. 17) Chris didnt go to work yesterday. 18) Every term parents are invited to school to meet teachers. 19) economic situation was very bad. Many people were out of work. 20) Im afraid of dogs. 21) My favourite subject at school was history. 22) We took children to zoo last Saturday. 23) English people I know drink lot of tea. 24) children learn from playing. 25) film wasnt very good, but I liked music. 26) All cars in this car park belong to people who work here. 27) women live longer than men. 28) Our train leaves from Platform 3. 29) Have you had dinner yet? 30) most people believe that marriage and family life are basis of society.
4. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) First World War lasted from 1914 until 1918. 2) Who are people in this photograph? 3) bicycle is excellent means of transport. 4) Can you play guitar? 5) He is at work at the moment. 6) We saw giraffe at zoo. giraffe is my favourite animal. 7) What do you know about origins of man? 8) French are famous for their food. 9) When was telephone invented? 10) Mary comes from large family. 11) computer has changed the way we live. 12) It was sunny morning and the family decided to have breakfast in garden. 13) Lets meet on Friday afternoon. I can invite you to dinner. 14) He spent winter in town. 15) summer is very short in Britain. 16) How did you spend day? 17) We were looking for place to spend night. place we found turned out to be in village. village was small. 18) Whos at door? Its postman. 19) Jane is pupil. She is at school now. 20) We prefer to spend our holidays in country. 21) My sister works as actress. 22) Where is Jim at moment? I think he is at work. 23) cats dont like cold weather. 24) Youve been in bed for hours. 25) I think red one will suit you best. red is more your colour. 26) If you study History, you have to read a lot. 27) We reached town before sunset. 28) Ive never seen dawn like it! I got up early to admire dawn. 29) Im tired and Im going to bed. 30) He is coming on Wednesday and well meet at airport.
5. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) weather is fine today. Lets go for a walk. 2) First of all you must think of health. 3) ... work Im doing is very difficult. 4) Its wonderful work of art. 5) He needs experience to become good doctor. 6) information he has may be interesting to you. 7) I think he had interesting life. 8) He likes strong tea with sugar and lemon. 9) Waiter! Id like juice and ice-cream, please. 10) Can I have bread and butter? butter is in fridge and here is bread. 11) I think English grammar isnt difficult. 12) tourists made fire and cooked food. 13) John is interested in ancient history and knows much about life of people at that time. 14) Do you prefer clothes made of silk or cotton? 15) grass is wet. Never sit on wet grass. 16) meat we had for lunch last Saturday was tough.
6. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) I used all butter that was in butter dish. 2) I often listen to music and I like rock best. 3) breakfast I ordered still hasnt arrived. 4) That was very nice dinner. 5) Do you always have tea at four? 6) Mary has got orange. 7) Italians like spaghetti. 8) Your dress is same colour as mine. 9) We heard news on radio. 10) Youll find information you need at top of page 25. 11) sugar isnt very good for you. 12) Do you like Chinese food? 13) Can you pass me salt, please? 14) I dont drink tea. I dont like it. 15) I dont use sugar when Im cooking. 16) I dont use sugar when Im cooking.
7. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) I like tea with milk in it. 2) I think dress is made of silk. 3) Would you like cup of coffee? 4) chocolate which I ate last night tasted very strange. 5) advice he gave me helped a lot. 6) spring is rather wet in our country. 7) What do you usually do in winter? 8) I can give you good piece of advice. 9) air was fresh and cold. 10) life is impossible without water. 11) oil is lighter than water. 12) He has deep knowledge in physics. 13) The patient was making progress. 14) Nothing can travel faster than light. 15) This is coffee Im so fond of. 16) She doesnt eat pork. 17) He wanted to give his son good education.
8. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) I met George Smith as I was going down the street. 2) USA is situated in North America and borders on Mexico and Canada. 3) The country is situated in Western Europe. 4) He has a wonderful house in Spain. 5) They spent their vacations in Alps. 6) Browns lived quiet life somewhere in Texas. 7) Is he Doctor Miles you told me about? 8) We expect Morgans for supper. 9) sun is star. 10) moon goes round earth every 27 days. 11) British Prime Minister left for Middle East early this morning. 12) This story was written by famous English writer S.W. Maugham. 13) Newcastle is a large city in north-east of England. 14) On Sundays he always goes to Regents Park. 15) We are to meet at London Airport. 16) The conversation was in Spanish. As I didnt know Spanish language I was silent. 17) Savoy is a luxury hotel in London. 18) I know a house in Madison Avenue you can rent. 19) Ive already been to Tate Gallery twice. 20) Today is a popular newspaper. 21) You can find him at Covent Garden. 22) Have you been to Canada or United States? 23) Peter and Paul are brothers. 24) They live near Lake Constance.
9. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) highest mountain in Alps is Mont Blanc. 2) Sweden is in northern Europe. 3) France and Britain are separated by English Channel. 4) Milan is in north of Italy. 5) Africa is much larger than Europe. 6) River Volga flows into ... Caspian Sea. 7) Africas highest mountain is Kilimanjaro. 8) Have you ever been to British Museum? 9) Hyde Park is a very large park in central London. 10) Dublin Airport is situated about 12 kilometers from the city centre. 11) Statue of Liberty is at the entrance to New York Harbour. 12) Frank is a student at Cambridge University. 13) Grand Hotel is in Baker Street. 14) Id like to go to China and to see Great Wall. 15) Which newspaper do you want? Herald Tribune, please. 16) There is a splendid view of Lake Geneva from this hotel. 17) Go down Oxford Street till you come to Oxford Circus, then turn right. 18) He has travelled everywhere from Central Asia to Africa. 19) A lot of people have tried to cross Sahara without being very good prepared. 20) Last year I visited Belfast. 21) In west British Isles are washed by Atlantic Ocean. 22) Shall we sit outside? sun is warm. 23) Last year he graduated from Cambridge University.
10. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary:
1) We get coffee mostly from Columbia. 2) What city is the capital of USA? 3) Last month they travelled by car around Europe. 4) north of Scotland is very beautiful. 5) America consists of two parts: South and North America. 6) Himalayas are the highest mountains in Asia. 7) United Kingdom contains four parts: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 8) Thames is the most important river in Great Britain. 9) Mediterranean Sea washes Europe, Asia and northern coast of Africa. 10) Where are Bermudas situated? 11) Brazil is the largest country of South America. 12) Amazon is the widest river in world. 13) I havent been to Netherlands yet. 14) Alaska is the biggest state in USA. 15) Paris is the capital of France. 16) Are you from Australia? 17) Republic of China is the third largest country in world after Russia and Canada. 18) Bolshoi Theatre is famous for its ballet performances. 19) British Museum is famous for its library. 20) Julius Caesar founded Tower of London. 21) Our train leaves from Waterloo Station at 9 a.m. 22) You should go to National Gallery. 23) London Zoo is situated in Regent Park in London.