VIII. Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits in the space in the same line.
Jack's real character
How easy is it to understand another person's character?
My friend Jack, was once a rather (1) ........................... person. He was ANNOY
always getting into trouble at school because he was so (2) ..... OBEY
In class he was very (3) ......................................... and never stopped making TALK
jokes. The teachers all told him he was (4) because POLITE
he interrupted them. When I met him he was very (5) FRIEND
and didn't want to talk to me at all. People told me that he
stole things, and that he was (6) .. . His school work HONEST
was terrible. He didn't take any (7) in his writing, he PROUD
never spent enough time doing his homework, and he
was not at all (8) . . One day he saw a gang of boys CONSCIENCE
attacking an old man. Jack hated (9) . and he fought VIOLENT
them all until they ran away. He was awarded a medal
for (10) .. . After that, people changed their minds about him. BRAVE
IX. Replace the words in italics with a verb from the box. Use each verb once only.
call in fall out give away put up with turn down count on get on well with look up to take after turn up
1. The wedding was cancelled when the bride failed to arrive. ..
2. Susan feels that her bow is someone to respect. ..
3. I'm sorry, but I just can't stand your behaviour any longer. ..
4. My brother and I really have a good relationship with our parents. . ..
5. Why don't you visit my home on your way home from the shops? .
6. Tony felt that he could rely on his friendMary. ..
7. The millionaire decided to make a present of his money to the poor. ..
8. Paula andShirley are good friends but sometimes they quarrel. .
9. Jean decided to refuse Chris's offer of marriage. ..
10. All three children behave like their father and are very sociable.
X. Decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each space.
Ann Johnson - A confidential report
Ann Johnson has worked at this college for three years. She is a (1) employee, and (2) on well with the other members of the department. We have all found her to be an excellent (3) . . She has always been (4) for her lessons, and is an extremely (5) member of staff who is able to work independently. I can always (6) on her to organize the end of term play, and she has put on some extremely (7) productions. Her students often tell me how (8) she is, always ready with a smile, and she has been very (9) to many of them. In (10) she is not very talkative and seems rather (11) at first, and might not show her true (12) in an interview. Her work is excellent, and she is (13) to succeed. She is also quite (14) , and has applied for two other positions as Director of Studies. I think that you can count (15) Ann to make your school a success, and I recommend her for the post of Director.