Task 1. KINDS 0F SHOPS. Put each of the following words and phrases into its correct place in the passage below.
advertising department different employ
families financial floors goods
handles jobs located merchandise
needs occupies optician's personnel
price purchases records roof
sales promotion section services shopping
staff store travel agency typical
A department store is a ..... which sells many ..... kinds of goods, each in a separate ..... . Modern department stores serve the ..... of entire ..... . People enjoy .....in such stores because they can make all their ..... under one ..... .The ..... department store ..... one large building, with separate departments ..... on a number of ..... .A number provide special ...... such as a ..... or ...
Department stores ..... hundreds of people for different..... . Employees buy, ..... , and sell the ..... . The ..... manager and his ..... promote the sale of..... through ..... and other techniques. The comptroller heads the ..... that keeps ..... and manages the store's ..... affairs. The ..... staff hire employees and ..... other employment problems.
Task 2. KINDS OF SHOPS. Match the kinds of places where you can buy things with their definitions.
2. mobile shop
4. department store
7. shopping arcade
8. shopping centre
9. shopping precinct
a. a large shop divided into smaller parts, in each of which different types of goods are sold
b. a large shop selling mainly food where one serves oneself
c. a large shop
d. a table or small open-fronted shop in a public place
e. shop for the sale of cheap goods of great variety
f. a part of a town limited to shopping; often without cars
g. a covered moveable shop
h. a small open hut, such as one used for selling newspapers
i. a small shop selling fashionable clothes
j. a group of shops of different kinds, planned and built as a whole
k. a covered passage with a row of shops on either side
l. open place where people meet to buy and sell goods, especially food
Task 3. KINDS OF SHOPS. In which shops would you buy the following items.
a) apricots, radishes at the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
b) aspirin, vitamins _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
c) bread and cakes _ _ _ _ _ 's
d) cigarettes, cigars _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
e) dogs, cats, hamsters _ _ _ shop
f) hammer, nails _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
g) mutton, veal _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
h) newspapers, magazines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
i) pens, writing paper _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
j) roses, daffodils _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
k) salmon, herring _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
l) tea, sugar, coffee _ _ _ _ _ _ 's
m) very old furniture at an _ _ _ _ _ _ _ shop
n) wine, beer, vodka at an _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _(U.K.)
Task 4. Complete with the right word
1. When we came to the shop we found a _ _ _ _ c _ on the door saying
“_ _ _ s _ _ on Sundays”.
2. The assistant in shops usually serves the _ _ s _ _ _ _ _ _ from behind a
_ _ _ n _ _ _ .
3. Customers in shops don’t usually use credit cards, they pay in _ _ _ _ .
4. If you are a regular customer some shops can give you a d _ _ c _ _ _ _ .
5. Let’s make a _ _ _ l : you _ _ d _ _ _ the price by 20% and I ‘ll buy a dozen shirts.
6. The jacket was a particularly good _ _ _ because I bought it in the summer
_ _ _ _ , when it was half price.
7. We offer a _ _ _ _ _ _ t of 10% on purchases over $150.
8. The cashier at the _ h _ _ _ - _ _ t was very slow, and there was a long
q _ _ _ _ waiting to pay.
9. If something is too heavy for you to _ _ _ _ _ home yourself, the shop may d_ _ _ _ _ _ it.
10. I have never heard of MLASK-MLASK Coffee before. Is it a new _ _ _ n _ ?
11. If the TV set goes wrong within a year , remember it will still be under
_ _ _ r _ _ _ _ _ .
12. In case you want to change something remember to keep your
_ _ c _ _ _ _ .
13. The stores policy is to prosecute anyone who is caught