1. Fashion is a multi -billion dollar industry worldwide. Why do you think fashion is considered to be so important by so many people?
* How important is it to you to be fashionable?
* How does aesthetic style vary between communities and countries?
* Some people believe that fashion industry promotes unrealistic and unhealthy expectations regarding body image. Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think the fashion industry influences society in general?
2. Walt Disney once said, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them”. What do you think he meant when he said this? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
* What advice would you give to someone who is trying to pursue his dream?
* Do you think that determination or ability is a more important characteristic when pursuing your dreams? Why?
* Some people argue that the circumstances of your birth (such as race, class, place of birth) are more important than any subjective character traits like ability or determination. Do you agree with this position? Why or why not?
3. Ralf Waldo Emerson once said, “The creation of 1,000 forests is in one acorn.” What does this quote mean to you? Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Why?
* How do you define success?
* Do you think everyone has the same potential to succeed? Why or why not?
* What do you believe is necessary for success? Why?
4.According to a famous English proverb “Two wrongs do not make a right”. What do you think this proverb means?
* Do you agree with the proverb? Why or why not?
* Describe a situation in which you had to forgive someone for a wrong against you or a situation in which you sought forgiveness for something which you did wrong.
* Which do you think is the more natural reaction to being wronged: forgiveness or revenge?
5. Television and Internet Video can have both a positive and negative influence on someone's life.
* In which ways has TV and Internet affected your life? * Do you think there should be a limit to how much TV and Internet a person can watch? * Do you think television has a negative influence in your community? Explain.
6. As the saying goes, “The apple does not fall far from the tree.” It is widely believed that parents greatly influence the personalities of their children. Do you think this is always necessarily true? Why or why not?
*Which personality traits do you share with your mother and father?
* What makes you different from them?
* Who has made the largest impact on the development of your personality? Why?
7. What is the best gift you were ever given?
* Who gave you the gift and what made it so special? * What thoughtful gifts have you give to someone? Explain. * Besides giving gifts, what other ways do we show our appreciation for people?
Speaking Comprehension Test for 9th Form Students
8. Fast food is generally considered unhealthy, but many people still eat it. * Why do you think restaurants like McDonald’s are so popular? * How would you make McDonald’s better? * If you could add one thing to the menu, what would you add?
9. Many children grow up listening to or watching fairytales that contain moral lessons. What was your favorite childhood book or story? * What was the moral of the story, and is it still relevant today? * Why do you think stories are a good way to teach morals? * If you could write a new fairytale, what moral value would you want your readers to take away from it?
10. Some people believe that living a healthy lifestyle is the key to one’s happiness. * What is your idea of a healthy lifestyle? * How has the definition of health changed over time, and from culture to culture? * Can a person who is not healthy still be happy?
11. In the age of computers and instant information, we are constantly exposed to the latest news and information. * What influences your choices when selecting what content to view? * How should people sort and filter the information they lake in? * What are the positives and negatives of such constant exposure?
12. If you could have any talent that you don’t already possess what would it be?
* Why is this talent so important for you to have? * How would you use it? * Do you feel it is more important to gain talents through hard work or through natural ability?
13. The proverb,” The more languages you speak, the more of a person you are,” is often heard in our language classrooms. What does this saying mean to you? * Do you agree with this proverb? * Do you know any examples of people who embody this statement? * How does knowing more than one language enrich your life?
14. In your opinion, what are the tree most important qualities a great teacher should have?
* Tell about a time when you were in a challenging class and you witnessed a teacher demonstrate these qualities. * How do these qualities help students learn? * Would you rather have a teacher with high expectations who teachers interesting, difficult classes or a teacher whose classes are easy and boring?
15. Imagine that you are a newspaper reporter. You have the opportunity to interview any living person in the world. * Who would you choose to interview and why? * How has this person influenced the lives of others? * How has this person influenced your life?
16. If you could be a character in any book you have read, whom would you choose? Why?
* Describe the character you have chosen, including both their physical appearance and their personality traits. * Does this character have any weaknesses? * What traits does this character have that you do not? Similarly, is there anything you like about yourself that this character does not possess?
17. Social networking sites (like Facebook) are becoming more and more popular. * Do you see social networking as a positive or negative thing? Why? * If all social networking sites were shut down forever, how would your life be affected? * In what way do social networks affect communication between people?
18. Do you think that money can buy happiness? * When did money make your life easier? * When did money make your life more difficult? * There are some who say that it is impossible to be both rich and moral. Do you agree or disagree?
19. Imagine that you are the owner of a new museum. * From which time period would you gather most of your materials? * Who would be the most interested in visiting your museum? * What type of museum would you like to own?
20.Young people play computer games now more than ever. Some people say that computer games can be bad for a child’s development. * Do you agree with this opinion? * What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing computer games? * Do you think parents should limit the amount of time children play on the computer?