1. The importance of Mendelís paper, Experiments in Pea Hybridization, was instantly recognized and appreciated by the scientific community.
a) True b) False
2. Which of the following subjects did Mendel have a background in?
a) Beekeeping b) Mathematics
c) Physics d) Botany
e) All of the above
3. Where did Mendelís experiments take place?
a) At a university b) At a monastery
c) At his home d) In a farmerís nearby field
4. Why did Mendel choose pea plants for his experiments?
a) They had many different visible traits
b) They were easy to grow
c) Their mating was easy to control
d) They grew quickly and in large amounts
e) All of the above
5. Is it possible for a visible trait to skip a generation?
a) Yes b) No
6. Which theory did Mendelís experiments disprove?
a) Natural Selection b) Survival of the fittest
c) Blended Inheritance d) All of the above
Task 8. Challenge question.
What do you think led to the success of Mendelís experiments?
Task 9. Tell your partner about your future research work. The following questions will help you.
1. Whatís the main purpose of it?
2. Which biological equipment do you use?
3. What biological areas does your research work deal with?
Task 1. Read the document and fill in the gaps.
A. Subject B. position C.ABC Health Center
D. Enclosure E. candidate
Cristiano Batistuta 5678, East 67 Street, Victoria, WA 45678, (123)-567 5432. Date: 2nd May, 2009
Mr. Robert Nelson Personal Manager
22 Victoria Street
Any Town, UK 55555
(2): CV ofCristiano Batistuta
Dear Mr. Nelson,
My experience as a research biologist for six years at ABC University in marine studies has trained me for the position you listed on gsmni.com for a biologist in your marine department. This is an area of great interest to me and other biologists Iíve associated with in recent months. I believe I could bring a new perspective to this department with some of the research Iíve already conducted.
If you are interested, I would like to meet you in person to have further talk about this (3) and discuss about duties I would perform. Please let me know if you consider me as one of the best (4) for the particular post. You can contact me by phone or email. My phone number is (123)-456 7890 and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Task 2. To which type is the document in Task 1 referred?
a) application letter c) covering letter
b) memo d) letter of enquiry
Task 3. Put the parts of the document into the correct order.
1) October 20, 2010
2) I am writing in response to your advertisement in the November 9 issue of Science magazine, which announced a position vacancy for a Quantitative Biologist. I am excited about the opportunity to apply for a faculty position in the Biology Department of Manchester College and believe that my research and teaching background make me a strong candidate. I am a molecular biologist currently finishing a postdoctoral fellowship in Mr. Johnsí laboratory at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
3) Dr. Robert Cutler
Biology Search Committee Chair
c/o Human Resources
P.O. Box 5000
Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504-5000
John Smith, Ph.D.
5) Over the years, I have developed an innovative approach to teaching and conducting research with undergraduates through creating and presenting course materials in both laboratory and classroom settings. In my experience, the best teaching involves concrete, hands-on examples, so I engage students in my courses by encouraging the maximum laboratory participation.
6) Included in this packet, please find my curriculum vitae, statements regarding my research and teaching inÖI appreciate being considered for your faculty position. Please let me know if I can provide additional information.
7) Dear Dr. Cutler,
8) The research project I intend to pursue at College involves the development of.Ö This is a project that I feel will interest and inspire undergraduates while allowing me to continue to produce the highest quality work in my field.
9) John Smith
623 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Spring, CO 80903
Task 4. To which type is the document in Task 3 referred?
a) covering letter c) offering letter
b) memo d) application letter
Task 5. Whatís the difference between a letter of application and a covering letter? Write the response to the advertisement in one of the scientific journals. Which letter is it going to be?
QUANTITATIVE BIOLOGY Bard College's Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is seeking a colleague who will complement our existing strengths in molecular biology, biochemistry, genomics, and ecology. The successful candidate will be involved in developing an innovative curriculum in which Bard undergraduates develop a strong foundation in the traditional fields and become proficient with the computational methods employed in those fields. Preference will be given to candidates interested in involving undergraduates in an ongoing research program and in developing collaborative connections with members of the Bard faculty. In addition, opportunities exist for developing collaborations and undergraduate courses and programs with the faculty at Rockefeller University. The appointment will be made at the ASSISTANT PROFESSOR level. Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statements of teaching and research interests, and three letters of recommendation to: Robert Cutler, Biology Search Committee Chair, c/o Human Resources, Bard College, P.O. Box 5000, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504-5000. Start-up funding is available. Candidates must have a Ph.D. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.