Choose the correct verb form.
1. I saw / was seeing a good programme on TV last night.
2. While I shopped / was shopping this morning, I lost / was losing my wallet. I don't know how.
3. Last week the police stopped / were stopping Alan because he drove / was driving at over eighty miles an hour.
4. How did you break / were you breaking your leg? I asked. I was skiing/ skied and I hit / was hitting a tree.
5. When I arrived / was arriving at the party, everyone had / was having a good time.
6. Did you have / Were you having a good time last night?
7. Fill in the gaps with the verbs in the Past Simple or Past Continuous.
1 While I (go) to work this morning, I (meet) an old friend.
2. I___________(not want) to get up this morning. It__________(rain) and it was cold, and my bed was so warm.
3. The phone__________________(ring) just as I_______________(leave) the office.
4. When I________________(pick) up the phone, there was no-one there.
5. I_____________________(say) hello to the children, but they didn't say anything because they (watch) television.
Have a talk with your partner using the roles given below.
Student A. Your friend is going to move to the country. He has a good job and a nice flat and you don`t understand his reasons to leave. Try to make him stay in the city.
Student B.You spent last weekend in the country and found that life there is much more pleasant it`s safer, cleaner and cheaper. You don`t want to stay in the city anymore. Explain your friend your decision.
Hi, Mary, how was the weekend?
It was amazing! I went to the country to see my relatives and I`ve made a very important decision: I want to move to the country!
Lesson 2. More than just a city
1. a) Let`s discuss the following:
- What do you think a population of a megacity should be?
- What are the biggest cities in the world?
- Do you think the majority of people live in cities or in rural areas?
B)TS 8.1 Listen to the urban studies expert talking about megacities. Check your ideas.
Reading and listening
Date: 2016-01-05; view: 1319