They decided to do this because it was expensive to transport coal.
9) What ?
Factories also needed limestone and iron ore, for the manufacture of steel.
10) Where .................................................................................................?
Industry in the UK developed near the coal fields of South Wales, the Midlands, north-east England and central Scotland.
Complete the text with the past simple affirmative, negative or question forms of the verbs in brackets.
Louis Pasteur 1822-1895
As a young man, Pasteur 1) studied at the Ecole Normale in Paris. Then at the age of just 32, he 2) (become) a professor at the University of Lille. In 1856, Pasteur 3) (receive) ..a visit from a man called Bigo who 4) (own)
..a factory that 5) (make) alcohol from sugar beet. He 6) (have) a question for Pasteur: why 7) (the alcohol / turn / to acid?) . ? When this 8)(happen) ., they 9) (not can) . use it and 10) (throw) .it away. Bigo11) (ask) . Pasteur to find out the reason for this.
At first, Pasteur 12)(not know) . . , but when he 13) (examine) .
the alcohol under a microscope, he 14) (find) thousands of tiny micro-organisms. He 15) (believe) that they16) (cause) the problem. 17) (milk, wine and vinegar / behave /in the same way?) .. ...............................................................
Other scientists 18) (disagree) .. with him, and newspapers 19) (make) .. fun of him. However, Pasteur 20) (continue)
with his work, he 21 (invent) .. methods of testing his theory and 22) (prove) ..that he was right. Later he 23)(work) ..together with two doctors and 24) (develop) .. vaccines for diseases such as anthrax and rabies.
6. Complete the sentences with the correct auxiliary (was/wasnt or were/werent)
1) I living in the USA for most of the 1990s.
2) As John and Jo . coming in, Pete gave them the bad news.
3) The sun .. shining all the time we . revising together outside.
4) We (not) .. working on Friday, it was a public holiday.
5) you driving by the river when you saw the red cat?
6) The elephant (not) .. eating when I .. feeding the other animals.
7) The whole class . revising for the exam all through June.
7. Underline the ρorreρt word or phrase in eaρh sentence.
1) Whilε I wΰshed/was washing my hair, thε phonε rang/ringed.
2) How did you felt/did σou feel yεstεrday aftεrnoon?
3) Whεn I got/wΰs getting homε I reρeived/wΰs reρeiving a phonε ρall.
4) Last summεr I wΰs going swimming/went swimming evεry wεεkεnd.
8) Whilε Μarσ wΰshed-up/wΰs wΰshing-up, she broke/wΰs breΰking a ρup.
9) While he took / was taking a bath, Archimedes discovered / was discovering the principles of density and buoyancy.
10) When Edouard Benedictus, a French scientist, worked / was working in his laboratory, he dropped / was dropping a glass bottle which had some plastic inside - and invented / was inventing safety glass.
11) Columbus arrived / was arriving in America while he tried / was trying to reach the Far East.
12) Alexander Fleming discovered / was discovering penicillin by accident while he looked / was looking at some old experiments.
13) While Hiram Bingham climbed / was climbing in the mountains of Peru in 1911, he discovered/ was discovering the lost city of Macchu Picchu.
14) While Isaac Newton sat / was sitting under an apple tree, an apple fell / was falling on his head, and he understood / was understanding gravity.
15) While Dr Harry Coover tried/ was trying to invent a new kind of plastic, he made
/ was making a very soft substance which stuck / was sticking things together. It was Super glue.
16) While he observed / was observing the Moon throughhis telescope, Galileo realized/ was realizing that it had mountains and craters.
17) I didn't sεe/sΰw whεrε thε bus stop was, so I wΰs missing/missed thε bus.
18) What did σou do/werε σou doing whεn I phonεd/wΰs phoning you last night? Thεrε was no rεply.