Nature protection should become everyone`s concern.
1.The Earth is our Home. Let`s speak about our planet, ecology and the environment.
The Earth is our home…It is the only planet in the solar system where there is life.
If you look down at the Earth from a plane you will see how beautiful our planet is…you will see blue seas and oceans, rivers and lakes, snow-capped mountains, green forests and fields. For centuries Man has lived in harmony with nature until these days when the contradictions between Man and Nature have acquired a dramatic character. With the development of civilization Man`s interference in nature has increased. Every year the world`s industry pollutes the atmosphere with millions of tons of harmful substances. The seas and rivers are poisoned with industrial waste, chemical and sewage discharge. People, flora and fauna are badly effected by six types of pollution. If you are not indifferent to our planet and its future, if you are a green person, you`ll do your best to save the environment for future generations. Ecology and ecologists help to preserve the environment, the planet.
Ecologyas a science studies the relationship of all forms of life on our planet with its environment.
Even in the 19th centurywhen the word "ecology" was born people continued to use nature as consumers, considering, Man to be "lord and king" of nature and not the child.
Earnest Gekkel was the 1st ecologist in the world. It was him who in 1866 used the word "ecology" for the first time, thus calling the science about the life of animals and their relation to the environment.
Ecology or Environmental Science can be divided into 2 main subjects:
1. Man and Nature. (If wild life (plants, animals, fish birds, rivers, lakes, seas, the land, the atmosphere need protection).
2. Scientific and Technological progress: for Benefit or Disaster?
Ø Ecology as a science studies the relationship of all forms of life on our planet with its environment.
Ø The word “ecology” came from the Greek ”Oikos” which means “Home”.
Ø The idea “Home” includes the whole planet of ours: its population, its Nature, animals, birds, fish insects, the atmosphere around the planet…
Ø Are all inhabitants of our planet happy? Do all of them live a happy and healthy life?
The answer is “No”.
2.Can we speak about an ecological crisis today? Why?
Man’s Careless Interference in Nature has led to ecological crisis.
When we speak about it, we investigate:
I. The causes of ecological crisis;
II. The signs of ecological crisis;
III. The solution. The ways to solve ecological problems.
Causes of Ecological Crisis:
The Technological Causes. Many environmental pollution problems are a result of the rapid advances in technology that have been made since about the end of WWII. Technological advances in agriculture, industry and transportation have greatly improved our way of life. But most of the advances were made without consideration of the effects they would have on the environment.
The Economic Causes. Many pollution problems have developed because methods of preventing pollution are expensive. Many waste products could be reused in some way. However, such practices have seldom been followed , in part because of the high costs involved in reprocessing waste products.
The Social Causes. Our desire for convenience is another cause of pollution. Many synthetic materials that pollute the environment were developed to save people`s time, work or money. With effort, some of the pollution from these materials could be eliminated. But, considered too expensive, it`s often considered too inconvenient.
The signs of ecological crises are:
1. 6 types of pollution: Air Pollution; Land Pollution; Water Pollution;
Noise Pollution, Chemical Pollution; Radioactive Pollution;
2. greenhouse effect,
3. acid rains,
4. global warming;
5. Climate change;
6. ozone depletion;
7. Resource depletion;
8. loss of biodiversity;
9. Littering and waste;
10.upsetting of oxygen balance;
11. massive deforestation;
13.destruction of flora, fauna, Nature, animals distinction;
Man’s Careless Interference in Nature has led to:
- massive deforestation, technological failures and accidents, poisoning the environment with
· industrial products;
· harmful substances;
· hazard solutions;
· chemical fertilizers and pesticides;
· radioactive substances.
3.Ask your English friend about nature protection in the UK?
4.What preservation measures should be taken by the world community to prevent ecological disaster on the planet?
The old African proverb says: «Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, but was loaned to you by your children»
Today more and more people are aware of the necessity to stop damaging nature and the environment. Ecologists and scientists demand the most important activities for successful solution of ecological problems. They mean: Ecological Education, Ecological Upbringing, Creating a System of Ecological Security, the Legal Basis of Ecological Policy in the world.
Nature protection should become everyone`s concern.
The solution of ecological problems means everyone`s participation in creating the system of ecological security.
1. People in many European countries celebrate the Earth Day on the 22nd of April. What do pupils do on this day?
- they have no lessons and they take away rubbish, clean streets, parks, yards;
- they organize meetings to protect Nature and our planet;
- they organize charity concerts and activities to collect money for “green” organizations and parties;
- they plant trees, bushes, flowers;
2. Ecological education and Ecological upbringing are paid much attention to in many countries of the world. Pupils know the rule of 4 Re: Reuse, Reduce, Recycle, Respect;
This rule means saving all natural resources. It’s of great importance, because the amount of coal, gas, oil, metal is not endless. It will be over one day.
The Rule of 4 Re =
- Reuse bags, containers, paper, boxes, and other items.
- Buy reusable products.
- Buy, sell, or donate used goods such as clothes, furniture, and appliances.
- Select products with the least wasteful packaging.
- Make sure your water taps are turned off when you’re not using them.
- Be creative – look for opportunities to reduce trash!
- Save water, gas, paper, fuel.
- Buy products that can be recycled and make sure to recycle them.
- Buy products made of recycled materials.
- The beauty of Nature;
- The Earth`s biodiversity;
- Future generations-they have the most to lose if we don`t respect our planet as there is no Planet B for them;
Natural resources should be used more economically because their stocks are limited, we mean the fossils, such as coal, gas, oil,
The use of the alternative sources of energy such as:
*Wind energy, *Solar energy, *Geothermal energy, *Tidal water energy, *Ocean thermal energy
should be a must in the Technology of the Future.
Environmental Protection Agencies are located in every town and city.