1. Esperanto canbe learned in much less time than any other language.
2. You shoulduse a variety of methods to acquire new content.
3. Typically, these robots canwalk well on flat floors.
4. These airplanes canbe smaller and lighter without human pilot.
5. The computer mustsolve a great deal of information and decide on the best way to manipulate an object.
6. The presence of the stationary waves maybe detected in many ways.
7. Electricity canbe transmitted via the natural media.
8. Different languages such as Java and Pascal can also be used for Windows programming.
9. You can easily create and modify table definitions.
10. They disagree about what should be called nanotechnology and what should not.
11. You don’t have to worry that the code will not be accessible.
12. It is quite evident that not every experiment can be relied upon.
13. As a consequence, one usually has to rely on the experience and even the intuition of the engineer.
14. According to the kind of electronic design, Evolutionary Electronics can be classified into three categories.
15. Among the features described above, the third one should be emphasized.
16. This canbe used to teach the network to classify speech patterns.
17. It is what the average C++ programmer will be able to come up with.
18. The virtual machines software itself mustbe written separately for each type of computer on which it runs.
19. Protocols may be implemented by hardware, software, or a combination of the two.
20. The question is how this canbest be done.
21. Sometimes, composite operators must be used for a better definition of the relations.
22. The data transmitted by an application may have been broken down into smaller packets which are easier to handle.
23. IP network and every machine that is connected to it have to have a unique IP address assigned to it.
24. The operating system must make sure that the requirements of the various users are balanced.
25. Error detection was used in the cyclic system example to reject a state that couldnot be properly decoded.
26. Many limitations must be taken into account during the process.
27. Technology canbe most broadly defined as the entities, both material and immaterial, created by the application of mental and physical effort in order to achieve some value.
28. In this usage, technology refers to tools and machines that may be used to solve real-world problems.
29. The word "technology" can also be used to refer to a collection of techniques.
30. This new-found knowledge may then be used by engineers to create new tools and machines, such as semiconductors, computers, and other forms of advanced technology.
31. The Internet can now be accessed virtually anywhere by numerous means.
32. The machine was slow but it could perform basic arithmetic as well as more complex equations.
33. These computers, both developed for atomic energy laboratories, could handle an enormous amount of data.
2. Rewrite the following sentences using can, could, may or might.
1 It is possible that he is Italian.
2 Do you know how to play the piano?
3 You are not allowed to speak during the exam
4 It is not possible that they are still on holiday.
5 You are not allowed to smoke on the plane.
3. Fill in: can't, might, must or could.
I wonder where Paul is. He 1) can't be at work because he never works on a Sunday. He 2).....be at Sally's, but I doubt it because they haven't been speaking lately. I wonder if he 3)..... be at his cottage in the country. No, he 4).....be because he told me they've rented it to someone else for the summer. He 5)..... have gone bowling, but I'm almost sure he told me he'd got tired of it. I know! He 6)... have gone swimming, because I remember him asking me if I wanted to go with him.
4. Fill in: would you, I'll, shall, could, why don't you or how about.
Husband : I've got a splitting headache.
Wife: 1) ..Why don't you go and lie down?
Husband : Yes, I think I will. 2......you bring me some aspirin?
Wife : Yes, of course I will. 3).....I call the doctor?
Husband : No. 4)..... wait and see how I feel later.
Wife : 5).....like a glass of water?
Husband : Yes, please. 6)..... you also telephone the office to say I'm ill?
Wife : Yes. 7).....you tell me where to find the number?
Husband : 8).....looking in the address book by the phone?
Wife : 9).....I say you'll be in the office this afternoon?
Husband : Yes, you 10).....say I'll be in about 2hours , I should be all right
5. Fill in: should, shouldn't, ought to or had better.
David : You 1) should, really do something about your car.
Sally : What do you mean?
David : It's in terrible condition. You 2)...get a new one before the police
Sally : But I can't afford a new one!
David: Well, you 3)...at least have the exhaust seen to. And you 4)... have the
brakes repaired before you kill somebody.
Sally : I suppose I 5)... . But you 6)... lend me some money to pay for the
David : Sally, have you spent the money I lent you last week? You 7)... have
spent it all!
6. Fill in can or be able to in the appropriate tense and form.
1. I've been looking for your glasses but I haven't been able to find them yet.
2. By the time Phillis was ten, she…..speak three languages.
3. If you don't tell me what your problem is, I….. help you.
4. I got home early last night, so I ... watch my favorite program on TV.
5. I…. ate anything when I was younger, but now I have to be more careful.
6. He…..pass the exam because he had studied hard.
7. Fill in: mustn't, needn't or can't.
In this school students 1) can't/'mustn't smoke. Students 2)... wear school uniforms, but they 3)... wear dirty clothes. Students 4)... leave school until 3pm. They 5)... forget to do their homework. They 6)... bring a doctor's note if they are sick. Older students 7)... park their cars in the teachers' car park. Students 8)... walk or ride their bikes across the grass. Students 9)... be late for class or talk loudly in lessons. Students 10)... forget these rules, but teachers 11)... obey them as they have a separate set of rules to follow.
8. Fill in: can't, must(n't), need(n't), ought to, have (got) to or don't have to.
Jo : Hello, Mum, Are you still awake? You 1) needn’t have waited up for me.
Mum : Do you know what time it is? It's after midnight and you 2)... go to
school in the morning.
Jo: I'm sorry, but I missed the last bus.
Mum : Well, you 3)... have phoned me then. You 4)... come in at any time
Jo : Oh Mum, you 5)... worry about me. Anyway, you 6)... walk miles to
find a telephone that works.
Mum : Then next time you 7)... be sure to catch the bus. You 8) ... walk in the
Jo : Yes, Mum. I'm going to bed now, I 9)... to get some sleep. And by the
way, I 10)... go to school in the morning - tomorrow's Saturday