Home Random Page


CATEGORIES:

BiologyChemistryConstructionCultureEcologyEconomyElectronicsFinanceGeographyHistoryInformaticsLawMathematicsMechanicsMedicineOtherPedagogyPhilosophyPhysicsPolicyPsychologySociologySportTourism






Education General

Useful phrases

to go to school, to attend school

the classroom

the school building

the class teacher

do one's homework

to submit a homework assignment

to take a test

to sit an exam

to conduct a science experiment

to excuse somebody from school

to home-school somebody

to graduate from school

pressure to do well

to skip school

to play truant

to keep somebody in after school

to be kept in after school

repeat a year (In England, weak students do not have to repeat the year)

to drop out of school

be expelled from school/university

Education Exams

cheat

examine

examiner

examination

fail

get through

pass

take / sit an exam

retake

revise for

study for

test

Education Qualifications

certificate

degree

BA

MA

B.Sc.

M.Sc.

Ph.D.

diploma

Education People

graduate

head-teacher

infant

lecturer

pupil

schoolboy

schoolgirl

student

teacher

instructor

undergraduate

Education General

educate

education

educator

qualification

qualify

revise, revision


 

Cheat: (verb) To act in a dishonest way to get what you want.

Ex. 'The student cheated by writing the answers on his hand and looking at them during the test.'

Co-educational: (noun) A school that has both male and female students. A schools for just boys (or girls) is called a single-sex school.

Ex. 'I think co-educational schools helps students to form better relationships with members of the opposite sex in later life.'

Coursework: (noun) Coursework is the work done by students that contributes towards their overall grade, but which is assessed separately from their final exams. Coursework can, for example, take the form of experimental work, or may involve research. It can comprise of dissertations, reports or essays.

Ex. 'I get nervous when I take a test. I prefer to do coursework because I have a long time to do it and I can do it at my own pace.'

Enrol: (verb) To enrol means to join a course. In American English it is spelt enroll. The noun form is enrolment (enrollment US)

Ex. 'To enrol on this course you need to be here on 7th January to do the paperwork.'

Fail: (verb) To fail means that you did not pass your test. You did not get the necessary grade / score. Failure is the noun form.

'40% of students failed the test. The other 60% passed.'

Qualification: (noun) A qualification is the official proof that you have successfully completed a course or that you have the necessary skills.

'What academic qualifications do you have? Do you have a degree?'

Retake: (verb / noun) As a verb retake means to take an exam you failed in the past for a second time. As a noun retakes mean the exams which are held again for students who did not pass them the first time around.

Ex. 'Retakes will be held in February for all those students who did not get 40% on the last test.'

Ex.'Don't worry you will be able to retake this exam if you don't pass.'



Revise: (verb) To revise means to study before a test. This word is used in British English. In American English study or review is used. Revision is the noun form.

Ex. 'I'm going to stay in tonight and revise for Monday's test.'

Semester / Term: (noun) Both of these words are used to mean the periods of the school year. The school year is usually divided into three terms / semesters: Spring, Autumn and Winter.

'At this school each semester is 12 weeks long.'

 

Notes

note the different prepositions of a university and from university and in a subject

You receive after


Date: 2015-12-24; view: 838


<== previous page | next page ==>
SOURCES OF SYNONYMY | Faire face à une surréservation d'une compagnie aérienne
doclecture.net - lectures - 2014-2021 year. Copyright infringement or personal data (0.003 sec.)