Test 1. Fill in many, much, few, a few, little, or a little.
1. Most people in this city have jobs Ė there isnít ___ unemployment.
2. I live in a small village. There is a church, a shop and ___ houses Ė thatís all.
3. How ___ apples are on the table?
4. We are late. We have very ___ time.
5. He spends too ___ money.
6. ___ effort had been made before the peace treaty was signed.
7. He needs to buy a lot of things but he hasnít got ___ money.
8. There arenít ___ chairs in this room.
9. This flat is small so there are very ___ rooms here.
10. I donít know ___ about these people.
11. He comes here ___ times a week because he has ___ free time.
12. We are destroying ___ trees and forests.
13. We use ___ electricity.
14. We burn ___ coal.
15. People put ___ chemicals into the seas.
16. There is very ___ juice left. I must buy some.
17. There is ___ Coke in the bottle. Do you want some?
18. She hasnít got ___ homework today.
19. I need ___ eggs and ___ butter to make a cake.
20. ___ people canít find jobs nowadays.
Test 2. Fill in much, many, few, a few, little or a little.
1. He isnít popular. He has very ___ friends.
2. Ann is very busy these days. She has ___ free time.
3. Did you take ___ photographs when you were on holiday?
4. I am not very busy today. I havenít got ___ to do.
5. The museum was very crowded. There were too ___ people.
6. Most of the town is modern. There are ___ old buildings.
7. The weather has been very dry recently. We have had ___ rain.
8. Do you mind if I ask you ___ questions?
9. ĎWould you like milk in your coffee?í ĎYes, please. ___.í
10. This is a very boring place to live. Thereís ___ to do.
11. Things are not going so well for her. She has ___ problems.
12. This town is not a very interesting place to visit, so ___ tourists come here.
13. Would you like ___ cake?
14. Would you like ___ apples?
15. There are lots of boys in our class, but very ___ girls.
16. Donít eat too ___ sweets before lunch!
17. Eating too ___ fat is bad for your health.
18. I canít do much Iím afraid. I have so ___ time.
19. Donít buy any more cheese. We have ___ left.
20. How ___ cups of coffee do you drink a day?
SUCH or SO
Test 3. Fill in so, such or such a(an).
1. Helena has ___ good sense of humour.
2. She has ___ busy life that she always forgets my birthday.
3. You shouldnít let ___ small child watch TV ___ much.
4. The weather is ___ nice today. Shall we go for a walk?
5. ĎHas he passed the exam?í ĎYes, I think ___.í
6. John is ___ interesting to talk to.
7. They said ___ nasty things about you.
8. Science is changing ___ rapidly.
9. I want to do ___ many different things.
10. He dressed ___ quickly that he put his boots on the wrong feet.
11. She got ___ shock that she dropped the bag.
12. I was ___ excited that I didnít know it was him.
13. It all sounded ___ crazy that I laughed out loud.
14. They worked ___ quickly that there was no time for talking.
15. ĎWill you be home at 6?í ĎI hope ___.í
16. The house was ___ untidy. Iíve never seen ___ mess.
17. I havenít seen her for ___ long.
18. I havenít seen her for ___ long time.
19. Why did you buy ___ much food?
20. Why did you buy ___ book?
Test 4. Fill in so, such or such a(an).
1. Heís difficult to understand because he speaks ___ quickly.
2. I like Tom and Ann. Theyíre ___ nice people.
3. It was a great holiday. We had ___ good time.
4. I was surprised that he looked ___ well after his recent illness.
5. Everything is ___ expensive these days, isnít it?
6. I have to go. I didnít realise it was ___ late.
7. He always looks good. He wears ___ nice clothes.
8. It was ___ boring film that I fell asleep while I was watching it.
9. I couldnít believe the news. It was ___ shock.
10. Theyíve got ___ much money, they donít know what to do with it.
11. I didnít realise you lived ___ long way from the city centre.
12. The food at the hotel was ___ awful. Iíve never eaten ___ awful food.
13. The weather is lovely, isnít it? I didnít expect it to be ___ nice day.
14. I think she works too hard. She looks ___ tired all the time.
15. I canít decide what to do. Itís ___ problem.
16. Itís ___ hot here! Canít we open a window?
17. Sheís got ___ lovely hair!
18. We ate ___ delicious food.
19. There were ___ few people there.
20. We had to pay ___ high price for coffee in London.
DO or MAKE
Test 5. Complete the following sentences with an appropriate form of do or make.
1. Her job has something to ___ with marketing.
2. Girls ___ up half of the students in the school.
3. Youíll have to ___ without your dinner if you donít get back in time.
4. She sits in front of the mirror for ages ___ herself up.
5. The government have decided to ___ away with the old tax law.
6. When the bell rang, the students ___ for the door.
7. Letís ___ the store room into an extra kitchen, shall we?
8. Speak louder Ė I canít ___ out what youíre saying.
9. ___ up your coat Ė itís cold.
10. I was ___ out of ten pounds in the shop this morning.
11. They mugged the old lady and ___ off with her handbag.
12. If you ___ your best to explain the problem, Iím sure sheíll understand.
13. What did the robbers ___ off with?
14. Itís about time you ___ some exercise Ė youíre getting a bit overweight.
15. I donít know what to ___ of Christinaís odd behaviour just lately.
16. I could have ___ it with more help.
17. I donít believe him Ė heís ___ it up!
18. How many times a week do you ___ the shopping?
19. You must ___ a decision now.
20. To ___ a fortune you have to ___ a lot of hard work.
Test 6. Complete the following sentences with the appropriate form of do or make.
1. I ___ an appointment to see the optician.
2. After he ___ his homework, he found he ___ a mistake.
3. This drug can ___ miracles for people with back problems.
4. They ___ a lot of changes in the town centre recently.
5. You ___ the right thing by telling the police.
6. He ___ an archaeological discovery.
7. After being ill for two weeks, he is now ___ an excellent recovery.
8. She ___ a lot of research in the field of medicine.
9. I ___ an arrangement to meet him at the cinema yesterday.
10. It is important that you ___ exercise in order to keep fit.
11. All that smoking ___ you harm.
12. He ___ an excuse and left the office in a hurry.
13. I always tried ___ my best, but she was never satisfied.
14. He ___ some research into ancient religions at the moment.
15. If you donít ___ an effort, you wonít any progress.
16. If you pay in cash, we can ___ you a small discount.
17. Please let me know if you have any criticism to ___.
18. Tying a knot in my handkerchief ___ me remember what I have to do.
19. Your explanation simply doesnít ___ sense.
20. I wonder if you could ___ me a small favour.
Test 7. Fill the gaps in the following text with one suitable word.
ĎOK, you can ___ (1) your shirt up now,í said Doctor Hymes. He had just given me a thorough check-up and was ___ (2) detailed notes on a big sheet of paper.
ĎWhat do you ___ (3) of it all, doctor?í I asked anxiously.
ĎWell, the first thing is that you could ___ (4) with a good rest. Youíve been overdoing it a bit, havenít you?í I admitted. I had been ___ (5) a lot of overtime recently. I had taken a lot on and had ___ (6) a bit of a mess of it all and was suffering from stress. He agreed that that probably had a lot to ___ (7) with it. I had also ___ (8) the mistake of starting to smoke again; in fact my diet was now largely made ___ (9) of coffee and cigarettes. The doctor then reminded me that coffee did a lot of ___ (10) to our nervous system and of course cigarettes ___ (11) a lot of damage to the whole system. He said I should try and ___ (12) without coffee for a few days and make a serious ___ (13) to cut out smoking altogether.
ĎAnd make ___ (14) you have a proper meal every day,í he warned. His last piece of advice was that I should find time to ___ (15) some jogging every day. I promised him Iíd do my best.