Linkers. Look at the phrases underlined in the text. Decide which of them are used to do the following.
1. list/add points
2. introduce examples
3. show contrast
4. introduce a conclusion
3 Look at the structures that are used with the linkers for contrast. Which linkers need a new sentence? Which linkers always need two clauses?
Combine these sentences using the five phrases for showing contrast in Exercise 2.
He is patient and careful at work. He is impatient and aggressive when he drives.
He is patient and careful at work. However, he is impatient and aggressive when he drives.
Complete the sentences in an appropriate way.
1. He was slow and often late for work. However,
2. Although the twins looked the same,
3. Despite the fact that he was shy
4. Children find learning languages easy. Adults, on the other hand,
Work in groups. Choose an essay title from the following.
Are men/women better
politicians than women/men?
In you group, brainstorm the qualities you think apply to men and women.
Look at the statements 1-13 below and do the following tasks.
1. Decide which of the statements below apply more to men or women.
2. Add two more statements of your own.
3. Select some to include in your essay. Remember to have some to show the other side of the argument.
4. Think of examples to support your statements.
1. ____________ are good at listening.
2. ____________ find it easier to deal with people.
3. ____________ have more authority.
4. ____________ are more sympathetic to others.
5. ____________ are better organisers.
6. ____________ pay more attention to detail.
7. ____________ stay calm in stressful situations.
8. ____________ are good at getting the best out of people.
9. ____________ are energetic and enthusiastic.
10. ____________ work better in a single-sex team.
11. ____________ are better at public speaking.
12. ____________ are more inspiring.
13. ____________ take decisions quickly.
9 Write your essay. Use the structure of the essay Are women better drivers than men?as a model.
Active vocabulary of the Unit
be good at
be interested in
be married to
Date: 2015-12-18; view: 2048