Sport is an important part of the modern way of life. It is popular among people of any age all over the world. It unites people of different classes and nationalities. When you listen to the radio you can always hear sport news. When you open a newspaper you will always find information about sport events. TV programs about sports are shown every day. Watching sporting events and participating in sports is not the same.
Sports not only help people to keep in good health, to become strong and attractive but also make them more organized and better disciplined in their daily activities. Many people ski, skate, swim, play table tennis, volley-ball, football and so on. Children and adults do morning exercises or jog in the morning. Some exercise in clubs and even take part in competitions. All necessary facilities are provided for them: gymnasiums, stadiums, sport grounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, skiing stations, football fields and other locations if needed.
We all need exercise. Regular exercise gives us more energy. It makes us feel and look better.
Here are some opinions:
Anna: As for me I go jogging every day in summer and I attend a fitness center 3 times a week. But I am not crazy about sports. I am much happier sitting on the sofa with a book or in front of the computer.
Oleg: I'm a football fan. Since I was a kid I’ve been crazy about watching football matches on TV. When I was small I often played with my friends in the yard. Then I became a player for our varsity team and took part in different sports competitions. Now I play football for the university where I study.
Alexander: As long as I can remember I was always keen on swimming. I go to the swimming-pool twice a week, but in summer I prefer to rest by the lake or the river and swim there.
Olga: I have been playing tennis for five years, but the more I play, the more I like it. I enjoy taking part in competitions or simply playing with my friends. I watch closely all tennis competitions and championships. There are a lot of them, but my favourite championship is Wimbledon because old tennis traditions remain there as they are.
Lena: To tell the truth I don't like sports. In the morning I do some exercises just to wake up. In summer I like swimming, biking or horseback riding, but in winter I usually do not play any sports. I don't like skiing or skating very much. I am not a person who is fond of sports.
33. Answer the questions.
1. Do you have much free time?
2. What else do you do besides studying?
3. What do you usually do after your studies?
4. How do you usually spend your leisure time? What is your favorite things to do in your spare time?
5. Are you fond of listening to music?
6. What kind of music do you prefer?
7. Do you play any musical instruments?
8. Do you like computer games?
9. Are you fond of making things?
10. What sport do you participate?
11. Do you like playing chess (…….or smth else)?
12. How often do you exercise or play sports?
13. Do you like fishing/hunting/swimming/skating/skiing?
14. Have you got a hobby that fits your taste?
15. What is your hobby?
16. Have you ever collected anything?
17. What do you collect now?
18. How long have you been collecting it?
19. Is it easy or difficult to collect old coins (stamps, etc.)?
20. What do you know about gardening/ fishing/ hunting/ swimming/ skating/ skiing?