I (know) _______ her for six years. I (know) _______ him when I was at school. He (live) _______ in Paris from 1997 to 2000. He (live) _______ in New York since 2001. Where's Pete? I (not see) _______ him for ages. I (not see) _______ Pete last night. We (be) _______ at primary school from 1993 to 1998. We (be) _______ in this class since September. I (not watch) _______ this video yet. I (not watch) _______ a video at the weekend.
1. I ________ (never/ be) to the USA. I ______ (want) to go there last summer but I couldn’t.
2. He _______ (live) in this street all his life.
3. His father ________ (come back) to London last Sunday.
4. Yan __________ (write) a letter to Nick two days ago.
5. He ________ (send) his letter yesterday.
6. They ________ (just/ buy) some postcards.
1. Maria (get) ______ some bad news last week. She (be) ______ sad since she (get) ______ the bad news.
2. I (start) ______ school when I was five years old. I (be) ______ at school since I (be) ______ five years old.
3. I (change) ______ my job three times this year.
4. I (change) ______ my job three times last year.
5. The weather was hot and dry for many weeks. But two days ago it (rain) ______.
6. Tom (break) ______ his leg five days ago. He’s in hospital. He (be) ______ in hospital since he (break) ______ his leg.
7. Are you going to finish your work before you go to bed? — I (finish) ______ it (already). I (finish) ______ my work two hours ago.
1. I (have, just) ______ a nice pot of coffee. Would you like a cup?
2. I (see, not) ______ Steve this morning yet.
3. Carol and I are old friends. I (know) ______ her since I (be) ______ a freshman in high school.
4. Maria (have) ______ a lot of problems since she (come) ______ to this country.
5. I (go) ______ to Paris in 2003 and 2006.
6. A car came round the corner and I (jump) ______ out of the way.
7. Don’t throw the paper away because I (not to read) ______ it yet.
8. Is Jim going to eat lunch with us today? — No. He (eat) ______ (already).He (eat) ______ lunch an hour ago.
9. Since we (start) ______ doing this exercise, we (complete) ______ some sentences.
10. I (be) ______ never to Italy.
1. You (ever work) ______ in a shop?
2. I (work) ______ at my uncle’s shop when I was younger.
3. It’s the first time I (be) ______ on a ship.
4. Ann is looking for her key. She can’t find it. She (lose) ______ her key.
5. How many symphonies Beethoven (compose) ______?
6. Look! Somebody (spill) ______ ink on the notebook.
7. You (have) ______ a holiday this year yet?
8. You (see) ______ any good films recently?
9. He (have, not) ______ any problems since he (come ) ______ here.
1. I (cut) ______ some flowers from my garden yesterday. I (cut) ______ lots of flowers from my garden so far this summer.
2. I (not / see) ______ Tom lately.
3. The artist (draw) ______ a picture of sunset yesterday. She (draw) ______ many pictures of sunsets in her lifetime.
4. I (feed) ______ birds at the park yesterday. I (feed) ______ birds at the park every day since I (lose) ______ my job.
5. Ann (wake up) ______ late and (miss) _______ her breakfast on Monday.
6. I (forget) ______ to turn off the stove after dinner. I (forget) ______ to turn off the stove a lot of times in my lifetime.
7. The children (hide) ______ in the basement yesterday. They (hide) ______ in the basement often since they (discover) ______ a secret place there.
8. The baseball player (hit) ______ the ball out of the stadium yesterday. He (hit) ______ a lot of homeruns since he (join) ______ our team.
9. We first (meet) ______ in 2001. So we (know) _______ each other for 8 years. 6.
1. She (change) ______ a lot since she left school.
2. I (see) ______ this film and I don’t want to see it again.
3. Jazz (originate) ______ in the United States around 1900.
4. Tom Hanks (win) ______ an Oscar several times already.
5. Long ago, they (build) ______ most houses out of wood.
6. Scientists still (not/find) ______ a cure for cancer.
7. Sean (eat, never) ______ Chinese food before.
8. In my first job, I (be) ______ responsible for marketing.
9. The last job I (apply) ______ for required applicants to speak some Japanese. 10. The first modern Olympics (take) ______ place in Athens more than a hundred years ago.
11. I am writing in connection with the advertisement which (appear) ______ in December.
My family and I (move) from London to Cardiff last summer, so we (live) in Cardiff for seven months now. I miss my friends in London. My best friend is called Megan. We (meet) at primary school, so I (know) her for nine years. Unfortunately, I (not see) her since last summer. I go to Greystone Secondary School in Cardiff. I (be) at the school since last September. At first I (not like) it because I (not have) any friends here. But the students in my class are really nice and I'm happy here now.
Helen: That's a nice tennis racket. Is it new?
Andy: No, (I/have) ________ it for about a year, but ( I/not play) _______ with it very much. ( I/buy) ________ it in Florida.
Helen: When ( you/go) ________ to America?
Andy: ( I/go) ________ there with my family in the spring.
Helen: What was it like?
Andy: Great! (I/stay) ___________ with my penfriend.
Helen: Is your penfriend American?
Andy: Yes. ( I/have) ________ an American penfriend for two years. (he/come) __________ to England last summer.
Helen: (I/not meet) _______ him.
Andó: No, (you/be) ______ on holiday in Turkey.
1. We went/ ‘ve been to the seaside last summer.
2. I finished / ‘ve finished my homework. Can I go out now?
3. I was /‘ve been ill three month ago.
4. Have you been / Did you to the shop? I need some stamps.
5. My hobby is fishing. I’ve caught / caught a lot of fish.
6. Jenny is in Oxford today, but she was /has been in London yesterday.
7. I played /'ve played basketball when I was younger, but l don’t play now.
8. I’ve already seen / already saw 'Shrek'.
9. Julie has been / was ill since Tuesday.
10. I didn't see / haven't seen Josh since 1998.
11. We've stayed / stayed at our grandparents for three days. We arrived home yesterday.
12. The dog went / has gone to sleep an hour ago.
13. I had / ‘ve had a cat for two years. It’s name is Willis.
14. I’ve waited / waited for a bus for twenty minutes. Then I decided to walk.
1. While I ___________ (to copy) the exercise, my friends __________ (to describe) a picture.
2. When we came in, the children __________ (to clean) their desks.
3. We met her at the bus stop. She ___________ (to wait) for the bus.
4. Some of the children ________ (to ski) while other children ___________ (to skate). Everybody __________ (to have) a lot of fun.
5. When we came the family ________ (to get) everything ready for Christmas. Bob and Helen _________ (to decorate) the Christmas tree.
6. The girls _________ (to feed) the birds in the garden while the boys _______ (to make) a bird-house.
At 7 o’clock the match started on TV, so Dad was still watching it at 7.30. Mum was sitting in the kitchen. She was quietly reading a woman’s magazine. Rosie was trying on her Mum’s clothes in her room. Nick’s cousins were listening to rock music. It was very loud so they didn’t hear the crash. At 7.30 the dogs were lying in front of the fire and they were sleeping. Nick went into the garden with his friend to play football. So at 7.30 he was still there.
1. When someone broke the window Dad _________________
2. When Mum heard the crash she ___________________
3. The cousins didn’t hear the noise because they ____________________
4. The dogs when the noise woke them up. ______________
5. At 7.30 Nick ________________
play swim feed sleep laugh
Yesterday we went to the zoo and saw there a lot of animals. First we went to see the white bears. They __________. Then we went to the cage with monkeys. There were a lot of children in front of the cage. They ___________ because a monkey in the the cage ____________. After that we went to see the elephant. There was a man there. He ____________the elephant. But we ___________ see much of the lions. They _______________.
— Mr. Rambler , what _______ you ______ (do) at 6.30 ?
— Oh, I ____________ (read) at that time in my room.
— Were you? _____________ you really ___________ (read)? What __________ you ________ (read) at that time?
— A book.
— Did your friends see you then?
— No, they didn’t. They _______________ (watch TV).
— What ________ they ____________ (watch)?
— Some film. But why?
— Some people saw a man who ___________ (try) to kill an elephant at that time. We think it was you.
1. Were you watching TV at 11 o’clock last night? (when)
2. We were speaking about books at the lesson. (what, where)
3. After school they were practising a new game. (what)
4. When I came, Nick was cleaning his room, (what)
5. He was returning to his camp with a pail of water. (where?)
to have dinner, to do homework, to come , to read the book, to clean the room, to go shopping, to return from Australia, to finish work
1. I went to see my friend after...
2. I watched TV after...
3. They went home after...
4. He phoned me after...
5. She went to dance after...
6. We wrote a composition after...
7. They rebuilt the house after...
8. We went for a walk after...
1. I ... (to have) breakfast before I went to school.
2. He went to meet his friends after he ... (to do) his homework.
3. By 8 o’clock the rain ... (to stop).
4. Alice was late because she ... (to miss) the bus.
5. She went to the post-office after she ... (to write) the letter.
6. He ... (to work) at the factory before he entered the college.
7. He got a bad mark for his test because he ... (to make) a lot of mistakes in it.
8. I went to bed after I ... (to finish) reading the book.
9. The child ... (to fall) asleep before the parents came home.
10. They ... (to marry) before they bought this house.
to leave, to go, to die, to see, to live, to fly
1. I didn’t read the text in class because I … my book at home.
2. The children didn’t want to go to the cinema because they ... already ... the film.
3. Kate wasn’t at home last week because she ... to visit her uncle.
4. Linda never knew her father because he ... before she was born.
5. I was excited when the plane took off because I... never ... before.
6. My grandfather was always afraid of animals because he ... never ... in the country.
1. Jill was afraid she _____ (forget) her key at home, but she found it in her handbag.
2. Dad wasn’t at home when I came back. He _____ (go) out twenty minutes before.
3. I wasn’t hungry because I_____ (just/have) breakfast.
4. Peter saw an urgent message on his table. Somebody _____ (leave) it the day before.
5. I apologized I _____ (not/phone) her.
6. He told me that he _____ (come back) a fortnight before.
7. I knew him at once though I _____ (meet) him many years before.
8. We spent the night in Klin, a town we _____ (often/hear of) but_____ (never/see).
9. They couldn’t believe he _____ (give up) his job in the bank. He _____ (make) a good living there.
10. Mr. Jackson said that he _____ ( already/buy) everything for lunch.
11. Alice asked her brother where he _____ (arrange) to meet his friends.
12. We had no car at that time because we _____ (sell) our old one.
13. They _____ (finish) painting the ceiling by two o’clock.