EXERCISE 3. Underline the correct word or phrase in each sentence.
a) I haven’t decided yet about whether to buy a new car or a second hand one. But I think/I’m thinking about it.
b) All right, you try to fix the television. But I hope/ I’m hoping you know what you are doing.
c) Every year I visit/I’m visiting Britain to improve my English.
d) It’s time we turn on the central heating. It gets/it’s getting colder every day.
e) Of course, you’re Mary, aren’t you! I recognise/I’m recognising you now.
f) The film of “War and Peace” is very long. It lasts/It’s lasting for hours.
g) I can see from what you say that your mornings are very busy! But what do you do/ are you doing in the afternoons?
h) I’m going to buy a new swimming costume. My old one doesn’t fit/isn’t fitting any more.
i) This must be the end of the first part of the performance. What happens/is
j) What’s the matter? Why do you look/are you looking at me like that?
EXERCISE 4. Put the verbs in brackets into the present perfect and the
Present perfect continuous tense (in some cases either could be used).
1) We (walk) ten kilometers.
2) We (walk) for three hours.
3) You (walk) too fast. That’s why you’re tired.
4) I (make) sausage rolls for the party all the morning.
5) How many you (make)? – I (make) 50.
6) What a lovely smell! Mary (make) jam.
7) He (hope) for a rise in salary for six months but he (not dare) to ask for it yet.
8) Mr. Smith, you (whisper) to the student on your right for the last five minutes. You (help) him with his exam paper or he (help) you?
9) I (teach) hundreds of students but I never (meet) such a hopeless class as this.
10) The children (look) forward to this holiday for months.
EXERCISE 5. Fill in the gaps with have/has been (to) or have/has gone (to).
Jack: Hi, Jill. Where’s Paul?
Jill: Oh, he (1) has gone to London for a few days.
Jack: Really? I (2) ________ London recently. I came back yesterday. (3)_____
you _____ there?
Jill: No, I haven’t Paul (4)_________ twice before, though. Where’s Sara?
Jack: She (5) ________ Spain for two with her parents. They (6) ______ there to
visit some friends.
Jill: When is she coming back?
Jack: They’ll all be back next weekend.
EXERCISE 6. Choose the correct answer.
1.’What time does the train leave?’
‘I think it ..A.. at 2 o’clock.’
A leaves B has been leaving C has left
2.’Where are Tom and Pauline?’
‘ They ……. to the supermarket.’.
A have just gone B has been going C go
3. ’What is Jill doing these days?’
‘She …… for a job for six months.’
A is looking B has been looking C looks
4. ’Is Mandy watching TV?’
‘No. She …… her homework right now.’
A is always doing B is doing C does
5. ’Have you been for a walk?’
‘Yes. I often …… for walks in the evening.’
A have gone B am going C go
6. ’Have you seen any films lately?’
‘Yes. Actually I …… two this week.’
A have seen B am seeing C see
‘It’s a piece of cherry pie. Mum made it yesterday.’
A are you eating B do you eat C have you eaten
8. ’Are you going on holiday this summer?’
‘Yes. I ……. enough money.’
A am saving B have already saved C save
9. ’Is Todd reading the newspaper?’
‘No. He …….. dinner at the moment.’
A has been making B makes C is making
10. ‘Have you bought any new CDs recently?’
‘Yes. Actually I …… two this week.’
A have bought B have been buying C am buying
Present Forms Revision: Level B
EXERCISE 1. Open the brackets and put the verbs into the correct tense (the Present Simple, the Present Continuous, the Present Perfect Simple or the Present Perfect Continuous Tense).
1. It (snow) steadily the whole week and it still (snow). 2. We (climb) for six hours already, but we (not reach) the top of the mountain yet. 3. The pain already (go) but the child still (cry). 4. The workers (work) very hard these two weeks, they (bå) busy with the interior decoration of the house. 5. Íå (solve) the crossword puzzle for àn hour and he (say) he (bå) about to solve it as he (think) over the last word. 6. Íå (work) at the language all the time and (make) great progress. His pronunciation (bå) rather good, only à slight accent (remain). 7. Íå (finish) the first part of his book and now he (write) the second. Íå (work) at his book for two years. 8. Dustin Hoffman, who (play) the hero, (give) à fine performance. 9. Why your hair (be) wet? You (swim)? 10. Doctors and scientists (show) recently the benefit of fish in the diet.