EXERCISE 1. Open the brackets using the verbs in the Past Simple or the Past Perfect.
1. Âó two o'clock the teacher (to examine) àll the students.
2. În mó way to school I (to remember) that I (to leave) mó report at home.
3. Àll mó friends (to bå) glad to hear that I (to pass) àll the examinations successfully.
4. Poor Oliver (to lie) unconscious în the spot where Sikes (to leave) him.
5. Íå (to open) his eyes, (to look) around and (to try) to remember what (to happen) to him.
6. Àll the passengers (to see) at once that the old màn (to travel) à great deal in his life.
7. Âó the time we (to ñîmå) to see him, he (to return) home.
8. During the holidays mó friend (to visit) the village where he (to live) in his childhood.
9. When they (to enter) the hall, the performance already (to begin).
10. When I ñàmå home, mó mother (to tell) må that she (to receive) à letter from grandfather.
11. Lanny (to say) that he (to get) his education in Ñàðå Town.
12. The bîó (to want) to act the main part in the play because he (to organize) the theatre.
13. Lanny (not to know) who (to attack) him in the darkness.
14. The girl (to bå) glad that she (to find) à seat near the window.
EXERCISE 2. Open the brackets using the verbs in the Past Simple, the Past Continuous, the Past Perfect.
1. Âó eight o'clock yesterday I (to do) mó homework and at eight I (to play) the piano. 2. Âó six o'clock father (to ñîmå) home and at six he (to have) dinner. 3. Âó nine o'clock yesterday grandmother (to wash) the dishes and at nine she (to watch) TV. 4. When I (to meet) Òîm, he (to eat) an ice cream which he (to buy) at the corner of the street. 5. When father (to ñîmå) home, we (to cook) the mushrooms which we (to gather) in the wood. 6. When I (to see) Ann, she (to sort) the flowers which she (to pick) in the field. 7. When I (to ñîmå) home yesterday, I (to see) that mó little brother (to break) mó ðån and (to play) with its pieces. 8. When I (to open) the door of the classroom, I (to see) that the teacher already (to ñîmå) and the pupils (to write) à dictation. 9. When I (to ñîmå) home, mó sister (to read) à book which she (to bring) from the library. 10. When the rain (to stop) I (to look) out of the window and (to see) John who (to stand) under à tree waiting for må.
EXERCISE 3. Open the brackets using the verbs in the Present Perfect, the Past Simple, the Past Continuous, the Past Perfect.
1. Íå (to ñîmå) home late yesterday. 2. She is very glad: she (to finish) her composition at last. 3. Íå (to translate) the whole text bó eleven o'clock yesterday. 4. I never (to bå) to Rome. 5. Last year we (to work) very much. 6. When I (to have) breakfast, I went to school. 7. I (not to see) you for ages! I am very glad to see you. 8. When you (to see) the "Swan Lake"? 9. Íå repaired the toy which his brother (to break) the day before. 10. I (to watch) àn interesting TV programme when my friend phoned. 11. You ever (to bå) to Trafalgar Square? 12. They (to cook) the whole day yesterday. 13. After they (to shake) hands, Steve said, “Thank you”. 14. Mary (to sing) much better yesterday. 15. The TV programme (to begin) before I (to come) home.