UNIT 13 CONDITIONALS
13.1. Complete these sentences with the correct tenses.
1. If you eat too much, you
will get... (get) fat.
2. If I talk to Anna, I
.. (give) her your best wishes.
3. If I had the time, I
.. (come) with you, but I havent.
4. Rebecca would do her homework now if she
.. (know) how to do it.
5. Well visit you tomorrow if we
.. (have) time.
6. I wont go to the party next weekend unless you
.. (go) with me.
.. (believe) it unless I saw it for myself.
.. (be) late for school if you dont hurry!
9. The Smiths
.. (love) to come to your party if you invited them.
.. (write) the invitations if I bought the food?
.. (phone) the Smiths if I find their number?
12. If its cloudy, it often
13. If John plays chess, he always
14. If you dont hurry, we
.. (be) late.
13.2. Match the two parts of the sentences.
1. Theyll be here by lunch time a) if you make a lot of mistakes.
2. You get a very interesting holiday b) if you come late.
3. Itll be more expensive c) if you dont come to her party.
4. You lose your place d) if they dont have a map.
5. Shell get very angry e) if you go on the new train.
6. Theyll get lost f) if he doesnt eat fish?
7. Youll lose your job g) if he has an accident?
8. What will you do h) if you go on a study tour.
9. Will you leave the job i) if they take the 10.15 train.
10. What will happen j) if they dont give you more money?
13.3.Choose the correct form of the verb.
1. If I dont feel / wont feel well tomorrow, I stay / Ill stay at home.
2. If the weather is / will be nice tomorrow, we can go to the beach.
3. It will be hard to find a hotel if we arrive / will arrive late.
4. The alarm will ring if there is / will be a fire.
5. I am / will be surprised if they get / will get married.
6. Do you go / will go to the party if they invite / will invite you?
7. If I am / will be late this evening, dont wait for me.
8. What shall we do, if it rains / will be raining?
9. Ill be able to understand you, if you speak / will speak slowly.
13.4. Match the two parts of the sentences.
| 1. If they went for a holiday
|| a) theyd need Tim on the team.
| 2. If you did well in the exam
|| b) she wouldnt be able to get up for
| 3. If I wanted a good meal
|| c) the neighbours would look after
| 4. If they wanted to win the game
|| d) theyd have to stay at home.
| 5. If it got very hot in the summer
|| e) Bill would give you a present.
| 6. If she went to bed very late
|| f) you would have to learn English.
| 7. If the car broke down
|| g) our house would be flooded.
| 8. If you were a famous film star
|| h) Id go to the restaurant in Sun Street.
| 9. If you lived in Great Britain
|| i) wed spend time on the beach.
| 10. If the river overflowed
|| j) you would have a big house in Hollywood.
13.5. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
Model: If I knew his address I
(give) it to you.
1. If he worked more slowly he
(not make) so many mistakes.
2. I could tell you what this means if I
3. He might get fat if he
4. If he knew that it was dangerous he
(keep) a horse if I could afford it.
6. What would you do if the lift
(get) stuck between two floors?
(not go) there if I were you.
8. You couldnt have so much trouble with your car if you
(have) it serviced regularly.
13.6. Complete these sentences in the correct tenses and with your own ideas.
Model: If I had a lot of money,
I would go to Paris.
1. If I have enough money,
2. If I go to the cinema this weekend,
3. If I went to England,
4. If I could meet anyone I wanted to,
5. If I can finish this exercise soon,
6. If it isnt raining tomorrow morning,
7. If I get hungry,
8. If the banks are closed tomorrow,
9. Unless I speak English quite well,
10. Unless I spoke the language fluently,
13.7. Answer the questions, using the information given.
Model 1: Whatll you do if you win the lottery? (travel / round / world) →
Ill travel round the world
Model 2: What does he do if the TV breaks down? (go / cinema) →
He goes to the cinema
1. What does he do if he has nothing to do? (play / computer games)
2. Whats Tony do if he cant buy a new house? (stay / Dudley)
3. What do you do if the bus doesnt arrive? (walk / work)
4. Whatll you do if you win a lot of money? (give / poor)
5. Whatll you do if your friends cant come? (go / party / alone)
6. Whatll she do if she has a holiday in Egypt? (see / Pyramids)
7. What do you do if the fire alarm rings at school? (go out / the building)
8. Whatll you do if you lose all your money? (get / job)
9. What does the teacher do if the students make a lot of noise? (get / angry)
13.8. Write the correct tense of the verbs in brackets.
(get) a reward if they
(pass) their exams.
2. If it
(not go) to the beach.
3. If you
(go) to Italy, you
(have) a good holiday.
(spend) the money on stupid things if I
(give) him any.
5. If planes
. (fly) very fast over towns, they
. (create) noise problems.
6. If there
(be) too many cars, they
(get) stuck in the town.
7. If you
(eat) the wrong things, you
(get) very fat.
8. If you
(eat) the wrong things, you
9. The teacher
(get) angry if you
(make) a lot of mistakes.
10. If your party
(go) on all right, the neighbours
(call) the police.
11. If the publicity
(be) good, a lot of people
. (come) to the concert.
(go) to India if I
(have) enough money.
13. If it
(be) a nice place, I
(go) there every year for holidays.
14. If I
(be) you, I
(study) much harder for the exams.
(need) to buy a new computer if I
(get) a new job.
(stay) at a better hotel if they
(pay) more money.
17. If it
(rain), the game
(go) to the moon if it
1. Alexander, L. Step by step 1. Graded Grammar Practice for Beginners. London: Longman, 1991.
2. Garton - Sprenger, J. and Greenall, S. BBC Beginners English. London: BBC English by Radio and Television, 1992.
3. Hopkins, A. and Potter, J. The Source - book. An Alternative English Course. Pre - intermediate: workbook. London: Longman, 1991.
4. Latfullina, I. English Grammar Exercises, Elementary. Òþìåíü: Èçä-âî ÒþìÃÓ, 1999.
5. Macfarlane, M. International Express. Pre - intermediate: workbook. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
6. Murphy, R. Essential Grammar in Use. A self- study reference and practice book for elementary students of English. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
7. Seidl, J. Grammar Four. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995.
8. Soars, Liz and John, New Headway. English Course. Intermediate Workbook. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
9. Swan, M. and Walter, C. The New Cambridge English Course. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
10. Taylor, James, Move Ahead. Grammar Practice Book 1. London: Macmillan, 2002.
11. Rowdon, Ben. Wavelength. Elementary Workbook, London: Longman, 2004.
12. Willis, J. English Course. First Lessons. London: Collins Cobuild, 1996.
13. Woods, Edward. Move Ahead. Grammar Practice Book, Elementary. London: Macmillan, 2004.
14. Woods, Edward. Move Ahead. Grammar Practice Book 3. London: Macmillan, 2002.
Date: 2015-12-11; view: 2000