Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of these verbs: visit / read /arrive /go / have / teach / smoke / do / speak / wash / like / go / study / know
Model:She is very clever. She
ten cigarettes a day.
2. We usually
dinner at 7 o'clock.
films. I often
to the cinema.
his hair twice a week.
at work very early.
.. .his homework carefully.
7. My name is Anna. I often
. books, and especially magazines, in English.
8. Robert is 18. He
. to Frankfurt university, where he
9. Roberts father is a teacher. He
. English in Frankfurt.
10. Robert and his friends
. Arabic quite well and they sometimes
. the Middle East.
2.11.Complete the sentences. All of them are negative. Use dont / doesnt+ one of these verbs:
| rain / drive / live / import / play / sell / smoke / wash
Model: Have a cigarette. No, thank you. I
newspapers in that shop.
2. She has a car but she
3. He smells because he
4. He likes football but he
5. Kangaroos and koalas
. in Siberia.
.. in winter in Western Siberia.
. fruit and wool.
2.12. Change have / has to have got / has got.
Model: Do you have a cat?......Have you got a cat?.......
1. I have a big house. 5. They have three children.
2. Do you have a cigarette? 6. We dont have time.
3. He doesnt have any money. 7. They have a lot of money.
4. Do you have a car? 8. She doesnt have a brother.
2.13.Rewrite in the negative.
| 1. Mr. Brown often listens to the radio.
|| 6. The sun sets in the east.
| 2. I wash my hands in cold water.
|| 7. She goes home for lunch.
| 3. Mr and Mrs West speak Italian.
|| 8. We often go to the theatre.
| 4. Harry wants to go to the cinema.
|| 9. Miss Green works on
| 5. Mrs White always wears white shoes.
|| Saturday mornings.
2.14.Use the verbs in the list to make questions.
| cost / do / go / have / like / do / play / rain / smoke / speak
Does he often play volleyball? Yes, he is a very good player.
2. (you) Excuse me,
.English? Yes, a little.
3. (you) What
? I am a secretary.
4. (your sister) What
.? She works in a shop.
? Yes, 20 cigarettes a day.
6. (it) How often
..in summer? Not often. It's usually dry.
dancing? Yes, I love it.
8. (they) What time ...usually
..to bed? 10 oclock.
9. (you) What
.usually ..... for breakfast? Toast and coffee.
10. (it) How much
..to stay at this hotel? £30 a night.
2.15.Choose the correct verb for each blank.
| have / has, live / lives, open / opens, repair / repairs, sell / sells, start / starts
1. Mechanics usually
work at eight o'clock.
2. In Spain, people
dinner at ten o'clock in the evening.
3. My cousin Tom
4. The village shop
at nine o'clock in the morning.
children's clothes and shoes.
cereal and milk for breakfast.
2.16. Write questions to which the words in bold in these sentences are the answers.
1. When water freezes it changes into ice.
2. We turn the lights on when it gets dark.
3. When it gets dark we turn the lights on.
4. No, they do not go out every evening.
5. Mr West works in an office.
6. Yes, Miss Green arrives at the office a few minutes before nine oclock.
7. No, she does not always have lunch alone.
8. They speak Portuguese in Brazil.
9. Tom knows about one thousand Italian words.
10. She wants to listen to the news.
2.17.Put each verb into the correct form.
1. Where .......... ? (you, live)
2. How .......... to work? (Miriam and Stephen, travel)
3. My sister .......... in a large flat in London. (live)
4. .......... in Leeds? (she, work)
5. Everybody in my class .......... Japanese. (speak)
6. My brother .......... in Britain. (not live)
7. I .......... some Spanish, but I .......... much. (speak; not understand)
8. What sort of food .......... ? (they, like)
9. .......... near their parents? (Teresa and Patricio, live)
10. .......... Shelagh Anderson? No, I dont. (you, know)
11. .......... a newspaper on Sundays? Yes, .......... The Observer. (you, read; I, read)
12. What time .......... to bed? (your children, go)
13. My sister and her husband havent got a car; .......... to work by bus. (they, go)
14. My sister and I ...... shopping, but my brother ....... it. (dislike; love)
15. .......... tennis? No, but my friend .......... very well. (your brother, play; play)
drive get go lie live make play run shop smoke
start stop think wear work do dance sing fry trap
2.19.What is happening at the moment? Write true sentences.
Model: I / wash / my hair Im not washing my hair.
| 1. it / snow
|| 5. the sun / shine
|| 9. I / smoke / a cigarette
| 2. I / sit / on a chair
|| 6. I / eat
|| 10. I / read / a newspaper
| 3. I / learn / English
|| 7. it / rain
|| 11. he / study / English
| 4. I / listen / to the radio
|| 8. I / wear / shoes
|| 12. we / write / a dictation
2.20.Write positive or negative answers (Yes, I am / No, it isntetc.).
Model:Are you watching TV? No, I am not
| 1. Are you wearing shoes?
|| 7. Are you feeling well?
| 2. Are you wearing a hat?
|| 8. Is the sun shining?
| 3. Is it raining?
|| 9. Is your mother watching you?
| 4. Is he reading a book?
|| 10. Are they swimming?
| 5. Is the wind blowing?
|| 11. Are you writing a letter?
| 6. Are you eating something?
|| 12. Is your friend speaking?
2.21.Translate these sentences into Russian.
1. Whats happening? 2. What are you doing? 3. My mother is probably shopping just now. 4. The sun is shining. 5. We are having a good time.
6. Tomorrow we are going to London. 7. Are you doing anything this evening? 8. Im going to Great Britain in April. Thats nice. How long for?
2.22.Ask the questions. Read the answers to the questions first.
1. (you / watch / TV?) .. Are you watching TV? .. No, you can turn it off.
2. (the children / play?) .................................... No, they are asleep.
3. (what / you / do?) ......................................... I am cooking my dinner.
4. (what / Rod / do?) ......................................... He is having a bath.
5. (it / rain?) ...................................................... No, not at the moment.
6. (that clock / work?) ....................................... No, its broken.
7. (you / write / a letter?) .................................. Yes, to my sister.
8. (why / you / run?) ......................................... Because Im late.
9. (George / play with / cat?)
No, he isnt.
10. (Nickie and Jim / walk / in the city?)
Yes, they are.
11. (what / Jenny / think about?)
About a trip.
Complete the sentences. Use one of these verbs in the Present Continuous Tense: build / come (2) / have (2) / play (2) / cook / stand / swim / lie / run / sing / read / win / cut / look / write / do
Model: Listen! Pat ...... is playing ......the piano.
1. They ............ a new hotel in the city centre at the moment.
2. Look! Somebody ............ in the river.
3. You ............ on my foot. Oh, I am sorry.
4. Hurry up! The bus .......... .
5. Where are you , George? In the kitchen. I ............ a meal.
6. (on the telephone) Hello. Can I speak to Ann, please? She ............ a shower at the moment. Can you phone again later?
. that old-fashioned song?
. your meat with my knife?
9. John isnt here. He
. a letter to my uncle.
. on the grass drinking a lemonade. Who is it?
. all those athletes
. ? They
. a marathon.
. a good time? Yes, thanks.
14. Were leaving now.
. with us?
. an English song?
16. No, I
. this magazine, I
. at the pictures.
17. At the moment Schumacher
. the race, but theres a long way to go.
2.24. Choose the correct form of the verb.
A) 1. Alan: My father reads / is reading the newspaper every morning.
Joe: Then why doesnt he read / isnt he reading it now?
Alan: Because he has / is having his coffee and he never reads / is reading then.
2.Jenny: I read / am reading a very good book.
Sue: Really? Do you read / Are you reading a lot of books?
Jenny: Oh, yes. I read / am reading about one a week.
Sue: Wow! I read / am reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Have you read it?
3. Ben: What do you do / are you doing, Dave?
Dave: I try / am trying to mend my car.
Ben: Whats wrong with it?
Dave: I dont have / am not having any idea really, but I think / am thinking its the carburettor.
B) 1. Only his mother thinks / is thinking hes intelligent.
2. Do you play / are you playing football today?
3. Richard is working / works in his study at the moment.
4. I prefer / am preferring to travel by train rather than car.
5. As yousee / are seeing, I am reading / read a magazine.
6. He and his wife are belonging / belong to a very good reading club.
7. She likes / is liking jazz music at the moment.
8. It is seeming / seems they go / are going to be late again.
9. Myriam is hating / hates this holiday.
10. Can you help me for a minute? Im sorry, I
(work / am working).
11. How many languages
(do you speak / are you speaking)?
(do you do / are you doing)? I am looking at the weather forecast.
13. What time
(do you get up / are you getting up)? At seven oclock, usually.
(plays / is playing) football most weekends.
(do you eat / are you eating)? Chocolate.
16. Have you got a cigarette? Sorry, I
(dont smoke / am not smoking).
17. I usually
(work / am working) on Saturdays.
18. Is John here? No, he
(plays / is playing) tennis.
2.25. Make sentences, using either the Present Simple or the Present Continuous.
1. She / design clothes, but she / wear a terrible dress today.
2. The sun / shine and its very warm. Put on light clothes.
3. He usually / go by car, but today he /go by train.
4. She / paint a picture of her mother. She / like her mother.
5. They / build a toy space ship. Their son / enjoy reading about space travel.
6. She / want a new dress for the party, so she / make one.
7. Look! It / rain. We cant go out now.
8. Because the sun / shine, they / swim in the river.
Date: 2015-12-11; view: 1744