Test 16. Mixed tenses. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
A funny thing happened to me the other day. I (1) . (be) in a hurry to get to work and I found that my car wasnt working. I (2) (have) to rush out of the house to catch the bus. While I (3) . (walk) along the street, I (4) . (notice) a woman of about my age on the opposite side of the road. I looked at her again and I (5) . (realize) that we (6) . (meet) before. She arrived at the bus stop a couple of seconds after me. She must be catching the bus, too, I thought. We (7) (just miss) the previous bus and we had fifteen minutes to wait before the next one. I looked at the woman behind me again and I was sure that I (8) . (know) her.
Excuse me, have we met before? Im sure that I (9) . (recognize) you, I said. She looked a bit surprised, but she (10) . (tell) me that her name was Angela Barker.
You (11) . (study) history at Liverpool University from 1985 to 1988! I shouted.
Thats right!" she replied, And youre Claire .?
Lewis. Well, my name was Lewis but I (12) . (be) married now. What you (13) . (do) nowadays? I asked.
Well, I (14) . (work) in the Central Museum in town and I (15) (live) in this area, in George Street, for about three years, she replied.
Youre joking! I (16) . (not believe) you. I live round the corner from there. We (17) . (be) neighbours for three years and we (18)(never see) each other! I said.
I know, its incredible! she (19) . (agree), And Im glad that you spoke to me because I wondered why you (20) . (look) at me all the time!
Perfect Simple/ Perfect Continuous
Test 17. Present Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. John is reading a book now. He has (read/been reading) it for two hours. He has (read/been reading) 53 pages so far.
2. Anns clothes are covered in paint. She has (painted/ been painting) the ceiling. She has not finished it yet.
3. Jane is still doing her homework. She has (done/been doing) it all day long.
4. Have you ever (played/been playing) tennis?
5. Look! Somebody has (broken/been breaking) that window!
6. Sorry Im late. Thats all right. I have not (waited/ been waiting) long.
7. Is it still raining? No, it has (stopped/been stopping) raining.
8. I have (lost/been losing) my address book. Have you (seen/been seeing) it anywhere?
9. My hands are very dirty. I have (repaired/been repairing) the car for two hours.
10. Mary has (written/been writing) ten letters today.
11. Have you (seen/been seeing) my bag anywhere? I have (looked/been looking) for it for ages.
12. How long have you (written/been writing) this composition?
13. They have (played/been playing) chess since 2 oclock.
14. I have (known/been knowing) about it for a long time.
15. John has always (lived/been living) in London.
16. I havent (seen/been seeing) Tom since Monday.
17. Where have you been? Have you (played/been playing) football?
18. You have (driven/been driving) all day. Let me drive now.
19. Where is Tom? I havent (seen/been seeing) him today.
20. The British have (drunk/been drinking) tea since 1650.
Test 18. Present Perfect Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct verb form.
1. I have (broken/been breaking) your pen. I am very sorry.
2. Whats the matter? I have (read/been reading) in my room for hours, and I have got a headache.
3. I am very tired! I have (worked/been working) all day, but I have not (finished/been finishing) yet.
4. I have (smoked/been smoking) since I was sixteen.
5. I have (smoked/been smoking) too many cigarettes today.
6. Why are you out of breath? I have (run/been running).
7. I have (lost/been loosing) my note-book. Have you (seen/been seeing) it anywhere?
8. Someone has (eaten/been eating) my sweets. They are nearly all gone.
9. I have (waited/been waiting) for you for ages! Where have you been?
10. How many exercises have you (done/been doing) today?
11. This is the best book I have ever (read/been reading).
12. How long have you (known/been knowing) Jane?
13. How long have you (learnt/been learning) to drive?
14. I dont know what Tom and Jack are doing. They have (argued/been arguing) all day.
15. You are so dirty! What have you (done/been doing)?
16. I have (painted/been painting) the living room for a week. Itll be finished soon.
17. I have (painted/been painting) the living room. I finished it last night.
18. Why is your hair wet? I have (swum/been swimming).
19. I have (shopped/been shopping) all morning, but I have not (bought/been buying) anything.
20. The streets are all wet. It has (rained/been raining) all day long.