Match the situations in the following sentences with the collocations that describe them.
annual meeting professional misconduct
antiwar demonstration promotion prospects
corporate image recent undertaking
legal documents registered mail
multinational corporation television series
1- -------------------- Lawyers should be involved in creating business partnerships.
2. ____________ Procter & Gamble has a reputation for regularly increasing the salaries
and responsibilities of its employees.
3. ____________ Companies usually send important documents by a special postal service
to ensure that they are not lost.
4. All companies are concerned about public perception.
5. Protestors against government military policies marched in Washington,
6. ____________ There have been several recent cases of top executives being accused of
7. ____________ The board of directors discussed the activities of the past year and elected
8. ____________ Although the company headquarters is in New York, there are branch
offices all over the world.
9. ____________ The manager informed the employees about the new product line.
10. ____________ Students can learn a lot about business by watching the program about
global trade on Tuesday nights.
Essential Academic Vocabulary
6. Word Parts
multi- (muchy many)
E2il Match the words that contain the word part multi- with their meanings.
5. 6. 7.
a. using sound, music, and words on computers
b. with many colors
c. able to speak three or more languages
d. having many parts or sides
e. involving different academic subjects in one activity
f. relating to groups with a variety of different beliefs and customs
g. a person whose wealth is several million dollars
h. able to be used in a variety of ways
i. ability to do several things at the same time
j. offering a choice of answers, but only one is correct
■*■! Write a synonym or phrase to explain the meaning of the boldface words. Use context clues to help you.
1. My office tasks have multipliedsince I was promoted to a managerial position, so I have to work longer hours to get them all done.
2.The new multistoryparking garage has sufficient space for all the employees to park their cars.
3. The variety of international food stores in this area reflects the multiethnicnature of the residents.
Chapter 7 • Business 75
4. In recent years multiple birthshave become more common for women who undergo
special fertility treatments to have children.
5.The multiplexin the new shopping center is showing so many different movies that we can
always find one that we want to see.
M Discuss the following questions with a partner.
1. What are the advantages of being multilingual?
2. What are some examples of multitasking in today's offices?
3. What kinds of multidisciplinary courses might be useful for a student studying for a business degree?
4. What tools or equipment can be considered to be multipurpose?
5. What is your favorite type of multimedia?
Writing a Summary
See Appendix TV for additional information on summarizing.
Reread the article "Procter & Gamble: An Optimistic Scheme." Take notes in your own words about the main ideas in the text. Use your notes to summarize the reading. Include and underline at least six to eight vocabulary wordsin your summary.