An opinion adjective explains what you think about something (other people may not agree with you). Examples:silly, beautiful, horrible, difficult
A size adjective, of course, tells you how big or small something is. Examples:large, tiny, normous, little
An age adjective tells you how young or old something or someone is. Examples:ancient, new, young, old
A shape adjective describes the shape of something. Examples: square, round, flat, rectangular
A colour adjective, of course, describes the colour of something. Examples:blue, pink, reddish, gre
An origin adjective describes where something comes from. Examples: French, lunar, American, eastern, Greek
A material adjective describes what something is made from. Examples: wooden, metal, cotton, p
A purpose adjective describes what something is used for. These adjectives often end with "-ing". Examples:sleeping (as in "sleeping bag"), roasting (as in "roasting tin")
1. Put the adjectives in the correct order.
1. Cycling is a(n)_________activity, (useful, outdoor, popular) 2. Now I'm reading a________novel, (depressing, long, boring) 3. He had a________alarm clock, (digital, new, useful) 4. Have you heard of this________invention? (Japanese, fantastic, new) 5. This family rents a________house, (furnished, large, old) 6. I've just bought a(n)________table, (beautiful, coffee, glass, oval) 7. Robert's is the_________car. (red, Italian, big) 8. Our students are using _________ dictionaries.(English, reliable, new, complete) 9. There was a _________ carpet on the floor, (soft, wonderful, woollen, Persian) 10. Andy gave Rosie a_________box. (jewellery, velvet, small, square) 11. Stratford is a_________town, (nice, small, quiet)12. There are a lot of________pans in the shops, (frying, Tefal, non-stick, brand-new, French-made).
2.Put the adjectives in the correct order.
1. I ate (hot delicious) soup for lunch. 2. He is just a (silly old) man. 3. My cellar is full of (big black scary) spiders.4.She bought a (powerful new portable) computer.5. They have just moved into a (big modern wonderful) house.6. They are a (metal heavy loud) band.7. I hate this (wet awful) weather.8. I like that (coffee glass small)l table.9. Last night I watched a (German interesting old) film.10. I need an (electronic new complex) dictionary.11. She was carrying a (beautiful new channel) bag.12.Sim City is an (exciting new) computer game.13.They live in a (wooden wonderful old white) house.14. She was wearing (beautiful red new) shoes.15. There is a (horrible red round) insect on your back.
1. Which is (large): the United States or Canada? 2. What is the name of the (big) port in the United States? 3. Moscow is the (large) city in Russia. 4. The London underground is the (old) in the world. 5. There is a (great) number of cars and buses in the streets of Moscow than in any other city of Russia. 6. St. Petersburg is one of the (beautiful) cities in the world. 7. The rivers in America are much (big) than those in England. 8. The island of Great Britain is (small) than Greenland. 9. What is the name of the (high) mountain in Asia? 10. The English Channel is (wide) than the straits of Gibraltar. 11. Russia is a very (large) country.
Упр. 3. Раскройте скобки, употребляя требующуюся форму прилагательного.
1. This man is (tall) than that one. 2. Asia is (large) than Australia. 3. The Volga is (short) than the Mississippi. 4. Which building is the (high) in Moscow? 5. Mary is a (good) student than Lucy.6, The Alps are (high) than the Urals. 7. This garden is the (beautiful) in our town. 8. She speaks Italian (good) than English. 9. Is the word "newspaper" (long) than the word "book"? 10. The Thamesis (short) than the Volga. 11. The Arctic Ocean is (cold) than the Indian Ocean. 12. Chinese is (difficult) than English. 13. Spanish is (easy) than German. 14. She is not so (busy) as I am. 15. It is as (cold) today as it was yesterday. 16. She is not so (fond) of sports as my brother is. 17. Today the weather is (cold) than it was yesterday. 18. This book is (interesting) of all I have read this year. 19. January is the (cold) month of the year. 20. My sister speaks English (bad) than I do. 21. Which is the (hot) month of the year? 22. Which is the (beautiful) place in this part of the country? 23. This nice-looking girl is the (good) student in our group.
Упр. 4. Раскройте скобки, употребляя требующуюся форму прилагательного.
1. Oil is (light) than water. 2. We shall wait for a (dry) day to go on the excursion. 3. A bus is (fast) than a tram. 4. Take some of these sweets: they are very (nice). They are (nice) than the sweets in that box. 5. He clearly did not like the explanation, and as he listened to it, he became (angry) and (angry). 6. He worked (hard) and (hard) as the end of the term came nearer. 7. The (tall) trees in the world grow in California. 8. Please be (careful) next time and don't spill the milk again. 9. Bobby was a (quiet) child. He was (quiet) than his sister. 10. Her eyes are (grey) than mine. 11. He was the (fat) man in the village. 12. As he went on, the box became (heavy) and (heavy). 13. My sister is the (tall) girl in her class. 14. Who is the (attentive) student in your group? 15. It is autumn. Every day the air becomes (cold), the leaves (yellow). 16. This is the (beautiful) view I have ever seen in my life. 17. Your handwriting is now (good) than it was last year; but still it is not so (good) as Nick's handwriting. Nick has a (good) handwriting than you. And of course Nellie has the (good) handwriting of all.