The mass media play an important part in our lives. Newspapers, radio and especially TV inform us of what is going on in this world and give us wonderful possibilities for education and entertainment. They also influence the way we see the world and shape our views.
Of course, not all newspapers and TV programmes report the events objectively, but serious journalists and TV reporters try to be fair and provide us with reliable information.
It is true that the world today is full of dramatic events and most news seems to be bad news. But people aren't interested in ordinary events. That is why there are so many programmes and articles about natural disasters, plane crashes, wars, murders and robberies. Good news doesn't usually make headlines. Bad news does.
Some people say that journalists are given too much freedom. They often intrude on people's private lives. They follow celebrities and print sensational stories about them which are untrue or half-true. They take photos of them in their most intimate moments. The question is ó should this be allowed?
The main source of news for millions of people is television. People like TV news because they can see everything with their own eyes. And that's an important advantage. Seeing, as we know, is believing. Besides, it's much more difficult for politicians to lie in front of the cameras than on the pages of newspapers.
Still, many people prefer the radio. It's good to listen to in the car, or in the open air, or when you do something about the house.
Newspapers don't react to events as quickly as TV, but they usually provide us with extra detail, comment and background information.
The Internet has recently become another important source of information. Its main advantage is that news appears on the screen as soon as things happen in real life and you don't have to wait for news time on TV.
Environmental protection problem
- What is your point of view of environmental protection problem?
- Unfortunately, but today there is no clean place left.
- Yes, the more we build now factories, and try not to look after nature the more polluted places we have.
- I have no reason to oppose. Many trees are cut down now. Our towns are full of litter.
- And air leaves much to be desired.
- You must be on the safe side, when you swim in the river, or in the sea, because bottom and the water itself may be polluted.
- Environmental problem is of great importance for our health.
- Do you mean virus infection? They may be dangerous for all living livings.
- I dream that coast will be clear and we live in healthy environment.
- As far I am concerned our authorities donít ignore this problem. They try to solve this problem.
- How is it done!
- First of all. New trees are grown, i.e. the forests are restored.
- And the factories put their wastes into environment less and.
- Glad to hear it.
- Perhaps you might consider me a bit of a fanatic about environment protection!
- I donít think so. But you are the sort of ordinary person wants to help all of us.
- Today this problem must be in the first place. We are in search such measures which can really help to protect environment.
- I also donít shift my ground in this question.
- The more people understand the necessity of environment protection the better results we can have.