1. Open the brackets and put the verbs into the Present Perfect Continuous Tense or the Present Perfect Tense.
1. I (try) to get into contact with them for a long time, but now I (give) it up as hopeless. 2. My shortsighted uncle (lose) his spectacles. We (look) for them everywhere but we canít find them. 3. She (be) of great help to us since she (live) for such a long time with us. 4. You ever (work) as in interpreter? Ė Yes, that is what I (do) for the last five months. 5. They (make up) their quarrel? Ė I donít know. I only know that they (not be) on speaking terms since September. 6. Our pilot (ask) for permission to take off for ten minutes already, but he (get) no answer yet. 7. A skilful photographer (help) me with the development of summer films for two weeks, but we (develop) only half of them. 8. I (know) them since we met at Annís party. 9. You (open) the door at last. I (ring) for an hour at least, it seems to me. 10. Look, the typist (talk) all the time, she already (miss) several words.
2. Complete the sentences with the verbs from the box using the Past Perfect Continuous Tense.
1. He________ the car for many hours before he came to the crossroads. 2. The pianist________ the passage hour after hour till he mastered it. 3. When I met her, her eyes were red. She and Mike again ___________. 4. When I came, they _________ this question for more than an hour. 5. It was evening and he was tired because he________ since dawn. 6. He _________ to get her on the phone for 15 minutes before he heard her voice. 7. By 12 oíclock they _________ a composition for two hours. 8. The fire __________ for some time before a fire brigade came. 9. I ________ to meet her for ages when I bumped into her by chance. 10. When I left home, it was raining, and as it ____________ since morning, the streets were muddy.
3. Choose the right variant.
1. When _____ Ann last? Ė I ______ her since she ______ to another city.
a) have you seen, havenít seen, has moved
b) did you see, didnít see, moved
c) did you see, havenít seen, moved
d) have you seen, didnít see, has moved
2. Our train _____ at 8 oíclock. If you _______ at 5, we ______ our things.
a) leaves, come, will pack
b) will leave, will come, will be packing
c) is leaving, will come, are packing
d) leaves, come, will be packing
3. They ______ to build a new McDonalds in several days and ________ it by the end of the year.
a) will start, will finish
b) are starting, will have finished
c) start, will be finishing
d) start, are finishing
4. I _______ the performance for twenty minutes when my friend ______ at last. His car _______ on his way to the theatre.
a) was watching, had come, had broken down
b) had been watching, came, had broken down
c) watched, came, broke down
d) have been watching, had come, has broken
5. look, what he ________ on the blackboard. He ________ three mistakes.
a) is writing, has made
b) has written, had made
c) has been writing, is making
d) writes, made
6. What ________ if the rain ________ by evening? It _______ since yesterday. I wonder when it _______.
a) will we do, doesnít stop, is pouring, will stop
b) are we doing, hasnít stopped, had been pouring, stops
c) shall we have done, wonít have stopped, was pouring, will be stopping
d) shall we do, hasnít stopped, has been pouring, will stop
7. What _________ when I _______? Ė We ________ the article which Mary ________ just _________. I _________ to read it for a long time.
a) did you do, was coming in, were reading, has brought, have wanted
b) were you doing, came in, were reading, had brought, had wanted
c) had you been doing, came in, read, brought, had been wanting
d) have you done, have come in, have read, has brought, wanted
8. It ________ dark, itís time for the children to go home. They ________ in the yard for the whole evening.
a) got, play
b) has got, are playing
c) is getting, have been paying
d) gets, played
9. I havenít heard you come into the room. When _______? Ė I ______ long ago. You _______ and I ________ to disturb you.
a) did you come, came, were reading, was not wanting
b) did you come, came, were reading, did not want
c) have you come, have come, have been reading, donít want
d) were you coming, was coming, read, havenít wanted
10. I _______ till Father _______. He ________ his key and I will have to wait for him.