A Brief History of Tourism
| TRUE, FALSE, DOESN’T SAY?
Tourists lived also in Roman Empire. T F DS
Rich Romans travelled abroad.
T F DS
Pilgrims travelled in winter.
T F DS
Pilgrims wanted to enjoy fresh air and study paintings. T F DS
In the 18th century people wanted to be healthy. T F DS
Italy was a country popular with rich English people. T F DS
It wasn’t expensive to travel by plane in the 1960s. T F DS
In the 1960s people didn’t want to visit Spain. T F DS
Today good hotels are easy to find. T F DS
The tourism is 2,000 years old. It started when rich people of ancient Rome didn´t want to stay in the city during hot summers. They took trips to the countryside and the coast. People that lived in the countryside or the coast worked for the Roman ‘tourists‘, they cooked for them or built new houses for them. When Roman Empire collapsed, Roman tourism stopped.
During the medieval era, pilgrims appeared. Pilgrims were people who wanted to visit holy places. People built simple inns near the roads to these holy places. The pilgrims slept and ate in these inns. Many of these people had a good time during their travel, or pilgrimages.
But it was in the eighteenth century when tourism became popular. Rich people in Europe started to travel because of health and culture. They visited spas and seaside towns and they enjoyed fresh air. Rich English people liked to travel to Italy. They studied Italian paintings, sculpture, and architecture . They wished to be cultural.
In the twentieth century a lot of Europeans got richer and wanted to travel. Soon there were hotels almost everywhere. In the 1960s, tourists started to travel by plane because it was cheap, fast, and comfortable. People discovered countries like Spain and France.
Today Spain, Italy, and France are still popular with tourists. USA and exotic destinations attract a lot of people, too. In these countries, travelers can find fashionable resorts, comfortable hotels, and exciting theme parks. No wonder, tourists spend a lot of money.
| FIND THE RIGHT WORD
· hundred years - __________________________
· a place where a traveler can eat and sleep - ___________________
· a place between sea and land - ______________________
· a larger area near the sea - _________________________
· a traveler who walks a long way to visit a holy place - ___________________
· something a lot of people like is - ________________________
· different word for to travel - ___________________________
· a place where you feel very well is - ______________________________
· very interesting - __________________________
Date: 2015-01-29; view: 1318