Some advertisements are of high artistic value, original and well-designed with vivid pictures, witty language and slogan, artistic photography. Therefore they add to the beauty of our lives. Moreover, advertising brings convenience to people’s lives and plays an important role in our economic life and is important to the consumer society. It is a kind of visual enjoyment to look at some witty works of advertising which add beauty to the cityscape.
But some leaflets and handouts are polluting the environment as rubbish and a blemish on the landscape of the city. They disfigure our cities. Advertisements are not always truthful, and a product is often misrepresented, false and deceptive. Many advertisements are fictitious and exaggerating. Advertisements are an insidious form of brainwashing. It is very disturbing that TV programs are interrupted by advertisements, and mailboxes are stuffed with rubbish. We can do nothing but accept it passively.
Exercise 6. Answer the questions in writing.
1. What is advertising?
2. What are the main jobs of advertising?
3. What are the main advertising techniques?
4. Why is repetition often used in advertising business?
5. What are the advantages of advertising?
6. What are the disadvantages of advertising?
Exercise 7. Choose the correct ending for each of the following phrase.
1. Oasis are doing a tour to promote...
2. I think it’s a brilliant advert. It really grabs...
3. Advertisers know that consumers will always compare...
4. Advertisers are experts at persuading people...
5. They really want to sell this product. They’ve just launched...
6. The tobacco industry has been trying very hard to improve...
7. At the moment British Airways are advertising...
8. We’re trying to reach...
a) to spend their money.
b) your attention.
c) the under-18 market.
d) two flights for the price of one.
e) their new album.
f) a huge advertising campaign.
g) one product with another.
h) its image.
Exercise 8. The adjectives below are often used to describe the advertising image for a product. Match the adjectives on the left with the most likely product on the right.
1) macho a) holiday
2) family b) breakfast cereal
3)feminine c) after shave
4) healthy d) perfume
5) trendy e) tropical fruit juice
6) exotic f) music system
7) hi-tech g) car
8) reliable h) clothes shop
Writing Task. Is there any advert at the moment that you really like? What’s it for? What’s the funniest advert you’ve ever seen? Describe it using the active vocabulary of this unit.
Exercise 9. Complete the gaps in these sentences with the correct passive form of the verb in brackets. Analyze their grammar forms. For reference see the Grammar Supplement.
Model: In the UK advertising and PR (to teach) in universities but not usually in schools.
In the UK advertising and PR are taught in universities but not usually in schools. – Present Simple Passive
1. A young man (to take) to hospital after injuring his leg.
2. Twenty cars (to steal) from the city centre since January.
3. Where (to hold) the next Olympics?
4. Alcoholic drinks (not to sell) to children under 16.
5. (To build) the bridge a long time ago?
6. I’m sorry, but dinner (not to include) in the price.
7. (To freeze) the vegetables immediately after you pick them?
8. My TV set (to repair) next Friday.
9. Mary (not to tell) about the accident yet.
Exercise 10. Match English advertising terms with their Ukrainian equivalents.
Exercise 11. Match these advertising terms with their descriptions or definitions. Memorize them.
1) direct mail
2) target audience
7) display ads
9) outdoor display
10) classified ads
a) a large printed notice, picture, or photograph, used to advertise something or as a decoration
b) small adverts placed by private individuals in a newspaper
c) any outdoor signs that publically promote a product or service
d) the kind of people that a programme, advertisement etc. is supposed to attract
e) a small piece of paper used for door-to-door advertising
f) attracting of public attention to a product, service
g) any size messages located in the newspaper except the editorial page
h) advertisements that are sent by post to many people
i) a large sign used for advertising
j) typed text under advertising, cartoon explaining the image
Exercise 12. Read and translate the text. Do the activities that follow it.