different working styles working relationships organizational/negotiating skills
a valuable contribution to a real asset a high-flier a steady performer a concern
an opening an (/a two-year) assignment
(to be) short-listed for to be on sabbatical/ to take a sabbatical
to be committed to do smth to liaise with (government officials)
to manage (the) workload to cope with pressure/ stress to reward achievements
to underperform to pass the problem on to smb./ one’s colleagues
multitasking any way/ no way
to be a good way to save face to be (very) well-connected to get a better deal
4.3 a management trainee a fast track scheme a cog
an undergraduate a science/art graduate – a graduate accountant
an appraisal interview a relevant experience
a recruitment/IQ test an (army) assault course
to work on a project to resign/ to announce one’s resignation
to submit smth. (to smb./by the end of the month/by email)
to fly out to to pay a deposit on
to knock over to hand smth. to smb.
(to pick one’s brains
to start /keep the ball rolling
to jump in the deep end
to get in one’s way)*
4.4 a positive/ negative quality one’s strengths/ weaknesses to get things done
intercultural, people-/ crisis-management skills
to make (a long-term) commitment to develop a rapport (with)
to handle a difficult situation to feel insecure
to stay motivated to resolve a problem to take over responsibility for
to come round to resent
4.5 one’s career objectives personal details qualifications a (final) grade
voluntary roles positions of responsibility general/ additional skills networking solutions
a faculty meeting a chaired conference a visiting speaker a training session
GCSE IS projects (to set up a) LAN wpm
4.6 a gap-year placement accommodation
underprivileged areas people in need mental/physical disabilities
classroom assistant/ support on an individual basis
eco-tourism an organic farm animal sanctuaries a physically demanding work
to take a year off / out to step back from (to help you) to find your feet
to start one’s degree course to move on to the next place to volunteer for (charity work)
tangible (opp. intangible)
Questions on the topic
1. Describe your ideal lifestyle during your working life. What status indicators are absolutely essential for you? What kind of job can light your fire? How can you note down the difference between vocation, career and job?
2. What are your priorities in building up your career paths? How much important are material accomplishments for you now? What is a typical job search plan? What is understood by “job sculpting”?
3. What are career decisions based on? Do people make a conscious career choice or does it happen by accident? What is the main mistake made by people when choosing a career?
What tips can help to avoid mistakes?
4. What is the main aim of a job interview for an employer and a potential employee? How can an applicant impress the interviewer? What should every candidate remember before going to the job interview? How to prepare for a job interview? What factors are important for getting a job?
5. What are advantages and disadvantages of taking a year off before or after university or in mid-career? How many different ways of spending a gap year can you think of? Are gap years and career breaks common in Russia? Where would you go and what kind of job would you do (if any) if you had an opportunity to take a gap year or sabbatical? Explain your choice and decision.