Test 3. Choose the correct answer.
Grammar for first-year students Part II
Used to ; get used to ; be used to
Test 1. Choose the best answer to fill the gap in each of the following. Used to vs. be used to and get used to
1.When I started to work here I needed a lot of help, but now I ________________ (do) all the work on my own.
2.He ________________ (read) several books a month but he doesn't have time any more.
3.We were surprised to see her driving - she ________________ (drive) when we first met her.
4.Don't worry, it's a simple program to use. You ________________ it in no time, I'm sure.
5.When I had to commute to work every day I _____________________ (get up) very early.
6.I'm afraid I'll never _____________________ (live) in this place. I simply don't like it and never will.
7.Whenever we came to Coventry we always _____________________ (stay) in the Central Hotel. We loved it.
8.When Pete Smith was the head of our office everything _____________________ (be) well organized. Now it's total chaos here.
9.Mr Lazy was shocked when he joined our busy company because he _____________________ doing much work every day.
10.At first the employees didn't like the new open-space office but in the end they_____________________ it.
Test 2. Do the exercises below on used to, be used to, get used to
1. He used to _____________________ (be) fat but now he's thin.
2.He isn't used to _____________________ (work) in these bad conditions.
3.How did you get used to _____________________ (work) in the middle of this mess
4.Did you _____________________ write poems when you were young?
5.I need some time to get used to _____________________ (live) in this town.
6.Sting used to _____________________ (be) a teacher before he became a famous singer.
7.I'm not used to _____________________ (wash) linen by hand.
8.She'll get used to _____________________ (live) in the extremely cold winter of Siberia.
9.My mother didn't _____________________ drink much coffee. But now she has become addicted to it
10.There used to _____________________ (be) a lot of trees in this court yard. They have all been cut down.
Test 3. Choose the correct answer.
Q1 - I'm not used to ____ up this early.
Q2 - I used to ____ a lot.
Q3 - You'll have to get used to ____ on the right when you live there.
Q4 - I didn't use to ____ it, but I do now.
Q5 - I found it hard to get used to ____ in such a hot country.
Q6 - Where did you use to ____ when you visited?
Q7 - It took me a while to get used to ____ the language.
Q8 - I used to ____ hard when I was a student.
Q9 - Have you got used to ____ it yet?
Q10 - I'm not used to ____ so much tea.
PAST SIMPLE/PRESENT PERFECT
Test 5. Past Simple or Present Perfect?
1. It (not snow)
.. this week.
2. You (see)
.. the news on television last night?
3. Mike (leave)
.. school in 1999.
4. I dont know where my brother is. You (see) him?
5. Where is your key? I dont know. I (lose)
6. We (visit) the local museum the other day.
7. Ann is on holiday. She (go)
.. to France.
8.When the last train (leave)?
9. Would you like something to eat? No, thanks. I just (have)
10. The weather (be)
.. good when you (be) on holiday?
11. We (not see)
.. each other for a long time.
12. Its the most interesting book I ever (read)
13. He (drink)
.. too much coffee today.
14. What you (do) at the weekend?
15. John is hungry. He (not eat)
.. anything since breakfast.
16. She (not go)
.. to the library three days ago.
17. How long you (know) Bill?
18. Olga always (want)
.. to visit Great Britain.
19. You (hear) from Jack recently?
20. Mark Twain (live)
.. in the state of Missouri.
21. Tom (didnt meet/hasnt met) his sister since he was a child.
22. Olga (lived/has lived) in England last year.
23. I (lost/have lost) my key. I cant find it anywhere.
24. Look! Somebody (broke/has broken) my pen.
25. How many plays (did Shakespeare write/has Shakespeare written)?
26. Do you know about Jane? She (gave up/has given up) smoking.
27. Im looking for Mike. (Did you see/Have you seen) him?
28. Your car looks great. (Did you wash/Have you washed) it?
29. Mr. Clark (worked/has worked) in a bank for 15 years. Then he gave it up.
30. I dont know this young woman. We (never met/have never met) before.
31. When (did you write/have you written) this poem?
32. Chaikovsky (was/has been) a great Russian composer.
33. Mary isnt at home. She (went/has gone) shopping.
34. (Did you see/Have you seen) this film? Its fantastic!
35. Oh! I (cut/have cut) my finger. Its bleeding.
Test 6. Past Simple or Present Perfect?
1. He ever (be) to London? Yes. he
.. . Several times.
2. Whats the news? We (win)
.. the tennis competition.
3. When you (speak)
.. to him? We (meet)
4. He (not call)
.. me this month.
5. How long you (be) ill?
6. We (see)
.. an interesting film the other day.
7. I (know)
.. them for 2 years.
.. You (be)
. happy when you (be) a child?
9. I always (travel)
.. by plane.
10. Where is Tom? You (see) him?
11. Its the most interesting film I ever (see)
12. The construction (start)
.. in April.
13. She (not call)
.. me since she (arrive) in Moscow.
14. They (not go)
.. to the cinema last week.
15. We (have)
.. too many tests today.
16. What you
17. William Shakespeare (write) a lot of plays.
18. I (lose)
.. my exercise-book. I cant find it anywhere.
19. You (go)
.. to the cinema yesterday?
20. You (meet)
.. Ann lately?
Past Simple/ Past Continuous/ Past Perfect
Test 7. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
1. While I (listened/was listening) to the radio, the telephone (rang/was ringing).
2. He (broke/was breaking) his leg when he (skied/was skiing) in the Alps.
3. They (listened/were listening) to the orchestra when the pianist (became/was becoming) ill.
4. Ann (played/was playing) the piano while Tom (painted/was painting) a picture.
5. We (saw/were seeing) an accident while we (waited/ were waiting) for the bus.
6. She (worked/was working) quietly at her desk when suddenly the door (opened/was opening) and her daughter (ran/was running) in.
7. While she (prepared/was preparing) lunch, she (cut/was cutting) her finger.
8. We (met/were meeting) while we (lived/were living) in Italy.
9. Which countries (did they visit/were they visiting) while they (travelled/were travelling) round the world?
10. (Did you work/Were you working) in the garden when I (came/was coming) home?
11. a strange man (walked/was walking) into the room. He (wore/ was wearing) red trousers and a pink shirt.
12. (Didnt you meet/Werent you meeting) your wife while you (worked/were working) in France?
13. I (saw/was seeing) you in the park yesterday. You (sat/ were sitting) on a bench.
14. They (lived/were living) in Canada when they (met/ were meeting) each other.
15. While I (listened/was listening) to music, my brother (did/was doing) his homework.
16. What (did you write/were you writing) when your computer (crashed/was crashing)?
17. As he (passed/was passing) the bank, a man in amask (knocked/was knocking) him onto the ground.
18. Why (didnt they visit/werent they visiting) me while they (stayed/were staying) in London?
19. Jack (drove/was driving) home from work when he (saw/was seeing) the accident.
20. Tom (arrived/was arriving) while the children (had/ were having) their bath.
Date: 2016-03-03; view: 2170