Find in the text the following topical words and phrases, make sure that you
are able to explain in English what they mean, and add them to your working vocabulary:
to monitor smth, a franchisee, a survey, to bring down cost, to customize menu to local tastes, a supplier, French fries, stock, shares.
2. Write out from the text the sentences or their parts which contain the words and phrases given below and translate them into Russian:
to speed up service, to win the hearts of, to overcome hurdles, service with a smile, to handle, a kick-off party, to capture smth.
3. Answer the questions using the topical words and phrases:
1. How many people eat at McDonald's each day?
2. What does credit for McDonald's commercial success belong to?
3. In what institution are McDonald's franchisees and employees taught their business?
4. How does McDonald's monitor product and service quality?
5. What is interesting, from marketing point of view, in the work of McDonald's restaurants outside the US?
6. Was it easy for McDonald's to open restaurants in Russia? What difficulties did they have to overcome?
7. What did the Canadian experts teach Russian farmers who worked for McDonald's?
8. Why was it necessary to send Russian managers to study at Hamburger University?
9. What did the company teach Russian customers who stood in line for Big Macs?
10. How big is the company now?
LESSON 4: REVIEW EXERCISES
1. Using the given Recall Pattern, explain the meanings and interrelations of the key notions which are arranged in it:
2. Discuss the following concepts and notions:
marketing, a market, a target product, a transaction, promotion, relationship marketing, marketing management, a bundle of benefits, the Societal Marketing Concept, the Production Concept, the Product Concept, the Selling Concept, the service code.
3. Give your definitions of the following topical words and phrases:
an offer, short-run profit, customer retention rate, overtime expenses, out-of-date, distribution efficiency, to miss the point, a public-interest group, an ant drunk driving group, a resort developer, happy hour function, to monitor smth, a survey, to customize menu, a supplier, a kick-off party, to overcome hurdles, hometown, production specifications, a pricing structure.
4. Choose a topic for Project Work from those given below:
1. Some managers view the purpose of business as making a profit, while some view this purpose as creating and retaining a customer. Arrange a talk show on this issue.
2. Do you know any other fast-food restaurant as market oriented as McDonald's? Find as much material about it as you can and speak about it.
3. Aeroflot decided to make all its international flights smoke-free. Do you think the smoking ban was a good decision on Aeroflot's part? Arrange a talk show on this issue.
| MARKETING ENVIRONMENT OF A HOSPITALITY COMPANY
Date: 2016-01-03; view: 1069