e-tailing an e-tailer e-business e-customers e-tail sites a live web chat customer tracking software online shoppers a customer-service rep animated sales reps a conversational agent /virtual host an avatar a surfer a cost-effective shipping ‘eyeballs’ a databank artificial intelligence customer privacy violation of privacy a window shopper
to boost sales to make a sale to increase traffic to build one’s confidence in the product to do window-shopping on the Internet to engage in a live chat to convert browsers into buyers to navigate a site to beware of smt. to barge into smt. cautious pushy intrusive paid search ads average purchase without consent
an e-store a high-street store a final offer to place/take/fill an order to see/sell/explain the benefits to bring down/quote prices to grant/offer/ask for a discount to sort out/discuss/go over the details to make/firm up/ reject a proposal to be subject to/open to/under negotiation to pay/require/put down a deposit a monthly/an annual/ an entrance fee hidden/extra/fixed costs to meet/miss/extend a deadline to seek/offer/find/work out/propose a compromise to find common ground/an agreement to pay cash to split the difference an e-tail transaction to price products to record a transaction to generate an invoice to place a product in a cart to send a faulty product back under guarantee to debit a credit card account to click on the link to the site a prospective customer to look up a product on a search engine to browse a site to ship a product a bank statement to credit account to insure against smt. to point out the advantages/benefits to get down to work/business to work out a solution/compromise to consider other options/alternative solutions
a non-profit organization a shareholder to sponsor to be reluctant/willing to do to increase order
negotiations to negotiate to win/lose negotiations a (to) bargain bargaining to charge smn. for to set-up an e-business a complete e-tailing package solution to design/ build/manage a website to process sales immediate delivery to have a product in stock capital investment overheads to bring down monthly fee down time lead time stable sites and servers to increase the budget to pay in advance to have a site on-line a tough negotiator the site is off-line a penalty clause to make a tentative offer /a counteroffer / a firm offer to book a meeting to ask a favour to break off negotiations set-up time payment terms to break a contract to go out of business
a mailshot a merchant account transparent payment system to control cash flow to process orders sales volume to make credit card payments on a website a contingency plan to give a breakdown of the investment a separate quotation on-site support sales are dropping a static/an interactive site
a sales incentive program an all-expenses paid holiday to allocate a global budget to get a free upgrade to (an executive suite) to confirm the budget to squeeze smth. out of the budget
Questions on the topic
1. Do you prefer shopping in a store or on a website? Why? How often do website visitors turn into paying customers? What can e-tailers do to convert window shoppers into buyers? What is customer tracking? Do online shoppers like customer tracking? Why (not)?
2. What is a conversational agent? Why do e-tailers use artificial intelligence? Would you prefer to interact with a virtual host, to chat online with a real sales rep, or to browse without help? Why? Can you do everything in an e-store that you can do in a high-street store?
What are the main stages of an e-tail transaction?
3. What is negotiating? What are the main issues in business subject to negotiating? What is principled negotiation? How can one get ready for negotiations? What techniques can be used during negotiations?
4. What are the similarities and differences between mailshots and spam? Have you ever bought anything as a result of a mailshot or spam e-mail? Were you satisfied? Why (not)? What structure and content should a business proposal have? Which techniques can be used to write an effective direct mail?
5. What is an employee incentive program? What kinds of incentive programs can a company provide? What are the advantages and disadvantages of such programs? Which incentives do you find most motivating? Which program would you like to participate in? Why? How would you and your company benefit from it?