Kolomna Locomotive Works
The Kolomna Locomotive Works (Kolomensky Zavod) is a major producer of railroad locomotives in Russia. The plant started production in 1869 with a freight steam locomotive, one of the first in Russia. In the Czarist period before the Russian Revolution, Kolomna was one of a very few producers in Russia. During this period 139 types of steam locomotives were designed. The company is now (2015) a part of Transmashholding.
The Kolomna plant is the only Russian producer of passenger locomotives, the creator of the first domestic examples of the main high-speed passengerEP200 AC locomotives, passenger DC electric EP2K, freight locomotives 2TE70. TEP70 passenger locomotives (along with modifications and TEP70 TEP70BS) provide much of the passenger traffic on non-electrified sections of the railways of Russia and CIS countries. The Kolomna plant is the largest Russian supplier of medium speed engines with an output from 450-5000 kW
The factory was founded in 1863 at Kolomna by military engineer Amand Struveunder the name "Mechanical Engineering and Foundry Plant Struve brothers". It was the first production plant for steel bridge structures for railways. In the second half of the 19th century the plant began to build locomotives, cars, river boats andtraction engines. In 1866 his brother Gustav joined the management and the company name was changed to "Plant engineers Struve brothers". In 1871 the company name was changed to Kolomna Machine-Building Plant. In 1935 the plant was named Valerian Kuybyshev.
The plant in Kolomna built the first Russian three-axle locomotive T-Series (1870), the world's first ship with a diesel engine "the Kolomna Diesel" (1907) and the first production Soviet diesel locomotive E el.
In the first years of Soviet power the plant manufactured (in small quantities) locomotives, wagons, streetcars and diesel engines. In 1931 the plant began to produce diesel locomotives and in 1932, in conjunction with the plant "Dinamo",electric locomotives of the VL19 series.
Prior to World War II (1941 - 1945), the plant produced steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, electric locomotives, diesel engines, tunnelling shields for subways,turbines, tenders and condensers for steam locomotives. During the war, the plant provided for the needs of the front. It repaired tanks, built armoured trains and manufactured ammunition. In 1943 the plant resumed production of steam locomotives and diesel engines. In November 1953 the plant produced its ten thousandth locomotive.
In 1956 the factory began serial production of diesel locomotives and diesel engines for locomotives, ships, submarines snd diesel power plants. Passenger locomotives TEP60 and TEP70 began to perform the lion's share of passenger traffic on non-electrified lines in Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
At the end of 1934 Kolomna Locomotive Works laid down three submarines of the "Pike" class under the numbers u-313 u-314 and u-315. These were completed in the spring of 1937 and towed to the "Red Sormovo" factory in Nizhny Novgorod(presumably along the Oka River).
The plant was awarded the Order of Lenin (1939), Order of the Red Banner of Labour (1945) and Order of the October Revolution (1971).
Date: 2016-01-03; view: 921