1. In the text find the synonyms to the given words.
start a program objective define method decrease provide perform
2. Fill in the blanks choosing from the variants given.
1. The instructions that tell a computer how to … a task are referred to as a computer program.
a) require b) create c) carry out d) define
2. A programming language … tools for creating a lengthy list of instructions called source code.
a) prefer b) refer to c) avoid d) provide
3. As a program is running an interpreter converts one instruction… into machine language.
a) at a time b) at the same time c) all the time
4. eVidpro.exe is a compiled program, so its instructions are immediately … by the processor.
a) provided b) modified c) executed d) adapted
5. Software includes menus, buttons, and other control objects that are … by a programmer, who designates their properties.
a) converted b) defined c) reduced d) purchased
6. The software that provides the computer with … for each use is called application software.
a) approaches b) efficiency c) utilities d) instructions
3. Make two-word expressions by combining words from two lists: A and B. Then fill in the gaps in the following sentences.
A: executable B: language
1. When using a Windows PC, you can start an … by clicking its icon, selecting it from a Start menu, or entering its name in the Run dialog box.
2. Computer software can be divided into two major categories: … software and system software.
3. The data files supplied with a software package sport … such as .txt, .bmp, .hlp.
4. A programming language provides tools for creating a lengthy list of instructions called … .
5. A simple instruction to add two numbers becomes a long series of 0s and 1s in a… .
6. A compiler converts … into a file containing machine language instructions.
4. Fill in the gaps in the text.
Software consists of computer ___ (programs/utilities) and data files that work together to provide a computer with the ___ (instructions/approaches) and ___ (data/tools) necessary for carrying out a specific type of task, such as document production, video editing, graphic design, or Web browsing.
To create a software ___ (efficiency/environment), a programmer must define the ___ (approaches/properties) for each element in the environment, such as where an object appears, its shape, its color, and its behavior. Most programmers today prefer to use ___ (high-level/machine) languages. A computer’s microprocessor understands only ___ (machine/high-level) language, however, so a program that is written in a high-level language must be ___ (avoided/compiled) or interpreted before it can be ___ (processed/modified).
Speaking. Discuss the following questions.
1. What is software?
2. What kinds of files are included in a typical software product?
3. Why does software require so many files?
4. How does a programmer “write” software?
5. How does a computer process a program?
6. How is software categorized?
Reading. Read the text and try to guess the meaning of the words in bold. Check your variants in the dictionary.