2. In Spain, women should be careful about making eye contact with strangers, as it might signal interest of a romantic nature.
3. In France, you shouldn't sit down in a cafe until you've shaken hands with everyone you know.
4. In Afghanistan, you should spend at least five minutes saying hello.
5. In the Middle East, you should not admire anything in your hosts' home. They will feel that they have to give it to you as a gift.
6. In Pakistan, you mustn't wink. It is offensive.
7. In Korea, you mustn't blow your nose in public.
8. In Finland, you shouldn't begin to eat before your host does.
Fill in the gaps with suitable wordsIt is not a good idea to...
0. put your hands on your lap during dining in Austria.
1. begin to eat before your host does in____ .
2. sit down in a cafe until you've shaken hands with everyone you know in
3. blow your nose in public in .
4. make eye contact in .
5. jump the queue in .
6. use your shoe to point at someone or something in
7. leave your change after you pay for drink your in
8. yawn in the presence of others in .
9. say "Hi! See you later" when you are introduced to someone in .
10. stand close to people you are talking to in__ .
Speak about your native culture.
I. Fill in the blanks with articles where necessary
1. We had cold winter last year with a lot of snow.
2. You can get to Yakutsk only by plane but in bad weather there may be no flights and passengers have to wait in airport.
3. He turned in bed and looked towards window. It was early morning.
4. She went to college in North.
5. Four tickets for gallery, please.
II. Complete the travel advertisement. Write the superlative form of the adjectives in brackets.
Indian Safari Holiday
Join our Indian Safari for the most adventurous (adventurous) holiday of your life. Visit some of .. (spectacular) scenery in Northern India, and travel to . (colourful) and (interesting) cities in Asia. See (old) palaces in Rajasthan. Then, watch the sun go down over the Thar desert its . (peaceful) experience in the world! Travel in style! We drive through some of . (hot) places in the world, so we use (good) 4-wheel drive cars. We have .. (low) prices in London. Thats why our safaris are .. (popular).
Call Worldwide Tours for details
Tel 0171 394 0762
III. Give the corresponding passive constructions
1. The shop assistant offered us a wide choice of gloves.
2. His parents often send him parcels.
3. They didnt refuse her a place at the hotel.
4. They asked the applicant some more questions.
5. Alison can never forgive him his rudeness.
6. Why have they given up the discussion?
7. Everyone must protect the environment.
IV. Complete the text with the words given below.
Canada is the second largest country in the world. (The ___ (1) country was the USSR.) Its population is not ___ (2) large, however. About 25 million people live in Canada less ___ (3) half the population of Britain or France and ___ (4) one thirtieth of the population of India. Canada is in North America and its capital ___ (5) Ottawa. It is rich country ___ (6) a lot of natural resources. In southern Canada the land is very good ___ (7) farming and Canada exports a lot of wheat. In the north there ___ (8) magnificent forests. In the west there are some very high mountains ___ (9) the Rockies. Canada also has many minerals such ___ (10) petroleum, gas, copper and zinc. Canada was first settled ___ (11) French pioneers. ___ (12) the eighteenth century there were wars ___ (13) Britain and France and Canada came under British rule. ___ (14) 1931 Canada has been an independent member of the British Commonwealth. English and French are ___ (15) official languages in Canada.
Also, are, as, at, between, both, by, called, for, in, is, largest, like, name, only, particularly,since, than, very, with.
V. Make the sentences opeening th brackets.
1. you ( try) to tell me that youve failed again? - I cant catch what you (drive) at. I (not say) anything yet.
2. Thank you, Mr. Barley. If something occurs to you, I (can; reach) at this number.
3. Sonny isnt only my partner. Hes my friend. We (be) together for many years.
4. Television (prove) to be an extraordinarily powerful advertising medium.
5. According to British law, the draught beer (must; sell) in pints and half-pints only.
6. When they (reduce) the price, I (buy) the car.
7. In Britain, distances, amounts of liquids, etc. (measure) like nowhere else in Europe.
8. When Ivan (lose) his watch?
9. The most prestigious accent in Britain (know) as Received Pronunciation (RP).
VI. Insert articles where necessary:
Horatio Nelson, British naval commander, defeated Napoleon in battle of Trafalgar.
William Caxton, father of English printing, died in 1491.
What pretty flowers!
You will need old papers to wrap it in.
glass of milk day will save your teeth.
Many people are afraid of ___ dogs.
French are famous for their food.
Hilton Hotel is situated near ___RiverThames.
Tate Gallery is quite far from ___ ScienceMuseum.
We spent last summer on island of Crete.
What interesting book!
VII. Choose the right variant.
1. She looks young because she weight.
a) lost b) has lost c) loses
2. Where is Ken? He out. hell be back in an hour.
a) went b) have gone c) has gone
3. I German at school but I have forgotten most of it by now.
a) have done b) has done c) did
4. I a headache earlier but I feel fine now.
a) have had b) had c) has had
5. Where is my bike? I left it outside the house. And now it !
a) disappeared b) has disappeared c) have disappeared
6. My car down. I cant drive home.
a) has broken b) broke c) have broken
7. Look! Somebody milk on our new carpet.
a) spilt b) has spilt c) have split
VIII. Complete the sentences by supplying the right verb form
1. Such books sold in special shops.
2. The picture spoilt by fire.
3. This work be done in two days.
4. The book be returned in an hour.
5. I be sent a telegram as soon as they arrive.
6. We shown a new film yesterday.
7. The dinner already been cooked.
8. The tickets not been booked yet.
9. What play be shown by the theatre next summer?
IX. Read the paragraph below and replace the words in bold with their opposites from the list.