a. Where are the simplest toys manufactured and why?
b. Why does Lego do things differently?
c. What is the reason for a global company to have a 'part configuration' model?
d. According to the text, what are the advantages and disadvantages of low-cost assembly plants'?
e. What are the operational advantages of outsourcing?
5.Mark these statements T (true) or F (false) according to the information in the text. Find the part of the text that gives the correct information.
a. The main reason to have overseas plants is to be close to local markets.
b. A lot of plants are now being located in Eastern Europe.
c. Imports to many markets are now cheaper.
d. The number of overseas plants is increasing.
e. Cost is the main factor in choosing the location of a foreign plant.
f. Outsourcing production to subcontractors gives a company more flexibility.
6. Comment on the title of the article summing up the information of the article.
➢ There is no denying the fact that not infrequently do the advertisements distort the truth. Misleading information can provoke problems for the consumers. What can they be? What can be done to lessen the harmful effects of misrepresentative ads?
➢ Do you support the idea of complete ban of alcohol and tobacco advertising from mass media?
➢ Tobacco and alcohol producing companies tend to advertise their production through sponsorship of sport events. What do you think about such sponsorship?( as a consumer, producer, sportsman )
➢ Though the role of advertising in increasing consumer awareness is invaluable, some people claim that ads create desire for more and more material possessions. They think that negative social aspects of extensive advertising outnumber the positive ones. What may the consequences be?
➢ Ads’ makers sometimes go to extremes trying to make their ads work. They employ such techniques as subliminal advertising (with hidden messages and pictures in it). Such commercials have insidious tunes that linger in the brain. Do you approve of it or do think it must be prohibited?
Write a 500-word essay developing one of the following theses. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement. Support your point of view with reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
1. “No one can possibly achieve any real lasting success or ‘get rich’ in business by conforming to conventional practices or ways of thinking”.
2. A business should not be held responsible for providing customers with complete information about its products or services; customers should have the responsibility of gathering information about the products and services they may want to buy”.
3. “Advertising is the most influential and therefore the most important artistic achievement of the twentieth century”.
4. “Whether promoting a product, an event, or a person, an advertising campaign is most effective when it appeals to emotion rather than to reason”.
5. “So long as no laws are broken, there is nothing unethical about doing whatever you need to do to promote existing practices or to create new products’.
6. “Commercialism has become too widespread. It has even crept into schools and places of worship. Every nation should place limits on what kinds of products, if any, can be sold at certain events and places”.
7. “What is the final objective of business? Is it to make the obtaining of a living – the obtaining of food, clothing, shelter, and a minimum of luxuries – so mechanical and so little time-consuming that people shall have time for other things.”
- A business leader, circa 1930
8. “The goal of business should not be to make as big a profit as possible. Instead, business should also concern itself with the well-being of the public.”
9. Never tell people hoe to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
10. “The secret of business is to know something that nobody else knows.”