Meanings of infinitival complexes.
(Basic source Blokh , Theoretical English Grammar , Seminars)
The systemic conception of language. The notion of system.
The definition of a sign. The specific nature of language signs. Types of signs.
Paradigmatic and syntagmatic relations of language units. The role of
F. de Saussure and LA. Beaudoin de Courtenay in the development of
Linguistic theory. The notion of synchrony and diachrony.
The morphemic structure of the word. The notions of morph, morpheme,
The traditional classification of morphemes.
The allo-emic classification of morphemes.
The notion of distribution, types of distribution.
8. The principle of identifying free/bound, overt/covert, additive/replacive,
The notion .of zero morpheme.
The basic notions concerned with the analysis of the categorial structure
of the word: grammatical category, opposition, paradigm. Grammatical
Meaning and means of its expression.
The Prague linguistic school and its role in the development of the sys
Temic conception of language. The theory of oppositions, types of opposi
tions: privative, gradual, equipollent; binary, ternary, etc. Oppositions in
12.The notion of oppositional reduction. Types of oppositional reduction:
Neutralization and transposition.
Synthetical and analytical forms. The principle of identifying an analyti
Cal form. The notion of suppletivity.
Principles of grammatical classification of words. The traditional classi
Fication of words.
The syntactico-distributional classification of words.
The theory of three ranks (O. Jespersen).
The general characteristics of the noun as a part of speech. Classification
18. The category of gender: the traditional and modern approaches to the
Category of gender. Gender in Russian and English.
The category of number. Traditional and modern interpretations of num
Ber distinctions of the noun. Singularia Tantum and Pluralia Tantum
20. The category of case: different approaches to its interpretation. Case dis
Tinctions in personal pronouns.
The category of article determination. The status of article in the language
Hierarchy. The opposition of articles and pronominal determiners.
22. The oppositional reduction of the nounal categories: neutralization and
Transposition in the categories of gender, of number, of case, and of arti
The specific status of proper names. Transposition of proper names into
A general outline of the verb as a part of speech.
25. Classification of verbs (notional verbs / semi-notional verbs / functional
26. Grammatical subcategorization of notional verbs (actional / statal / processual;
limitive / unlimitive).
27. The valency of verbs (complementive / uncomplementive verbs; transi
tive / intransitive verbs).
28. A general outline of verbals: the categorial semantics, categories, syntac
The infinitive and its properties. The categories of the infinitive. Modal
meanings of infinitival complexes.
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 1831