Task 5. Points for discussion
Task 1. Answer the following questions
1. What is local exchange carrier?
2. How can be types of carriers divided?
3. What does CLECs mean?
4. What does a dedicated line provide?
5. What services do phone and dealing provide?
Task 2. True/False sentences
1. LEC is a private telephone company in the United States that provides services to homes and businesses within its defined geographical area.
2. The competitive local exchange carriers provide valuable backup capability over the “last mile”.
3. Voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) is the basic transport of voice in the form of a data packet using the Internet protocol.
4. Automatic number identification (ANI) or caller ID, equipment can’t be installed on the phone system to identify and display the number of an incoming call.
5. Unwanted phone calls from other people and businesses can be identified before the phone is ever answered.
Task 3. Fill in gaps
A leased line, data applications, carriers, to convert, LEC, IP telephony, phone system, switch, Internet protocol, Competitive local exchange carriers.
1. The types of … can be divided into three broad categories local exchange carriers, competitive local exchange carriers and long-distance carriers.
2. A … is a public telephone company in the United States that provides service to homes and businesses within its defined geographical area.
3. Today, your computer’s modem … signals from analog to digital.
4. … include wireless service providers, satellite TV service providers, cable TV companies, and even power companies.
5. … is a circuit that directs messages along specific paths into telecommunications system.
6. A dedicated line, also called … provides a constant connection between two points.
7. … is the communications protocol by which data is sent from one computer to another on the Internet.
8. … is the technology for transmitting voice communications over a network using an open standards-based Internet protocol.
9. Voice and data convergence is the integration of voice and … in a common environment.
10. Common carriers offer more services to extend the capabilities of the typical … .
Task 4. Find the terms according to the given definitions
- A collection of computer programs and related data that provides the instructions for telling a computer what to do and how to do it.
- The physical link or circuit that connects from the demarcation point of the customer premises to the edge of the carrier or telecommunications service provider's network.
- A numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication.
- It is a feature of telephony intelligent network services that permits subscribers to display or capture the billing telephone number of a calling party.
- An independent agency of the United States government, created by Congressional statute.
Task 5. Points for discussion
- What are the duties of the FCC?
- In your opinion, what is the most popular type of telecommunication carriers?
- What do you know about the Internet protocol?
- What is data and voice convergence?
- What advantages and disadvantages does IP telephone have?
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 590