1. We were short of money so we decided to get lifts in other peopleís cars.
2. Iíd like to reserve three single rooms for next week, please.
3. It was raining, and we couldnít find a place to put our tent.
4. We gave a tip to the person who carried our bags in the hotel.
5. Iíd like a room for the night, please. Do you have a free one?
6. Itís difficult to find anywhere to stay in Petersburg in summer.
7. Do you have a room for two people?
8. The person who answers passengersí questions and gives advice on arrival times, connections and routes has just come into his accommodation.
Ex. VIII. Ask question to which the following sentences can be answers.
1. It is by plane that I like to travel best of all.
2. Because it saves one a lot of time.
3. No, I've never travelled by sea.
4. The matter is that I am a bad sailor.
5. Travelling by train takes a lot of time and I can't afford it.
6. I shouldn't say that it's much more expensive to travel by plane.
7. Travelling by car is very pleasant only if the roads are quite satisfactory.
8. That would be a pleasure, thank you.
9. Iíd never hitch-hiked until that day.
10. Having no money for the voyage, he succeeded in the end in stowing away on a passenger ship heading for England.
Ex.IX. Do the following tasks.
a). Put the words in the column you think is correct before reading the stories.
Los Angeles Yosemite Park Scone Palace greyhound bus Boston California golf wet air-conditioning drive-ins foggy whisky distillery motels New York Grand Canyon salmon Death Valley convertible car Glencoe waterproof trousers hamburgers mosquito repellant
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
b). Read the paragraphs below and mark in the box if they are Story A (Cliveís holiday to the USA) or Story B (Nickís holiday to Scotland).
1. He returned the hired car to Las Vegas and took a
plane back to New York where he caught his
connecting flight back to London. A friend picked him Story
up in London and gave him a lift back to Manchester
and that was the end of the holiday.
2. Last summer Clive went on holiday to the USA for
three weeks. He started off from Manchester where a
friend gave him a lift to the motorway junction. From Story
there he hitched down to London and took the tube
and then a taxi to Gatwick Airport.
3. There were roadworks on the M1 motorway so it took
longer than usual but at about 11.30 p.m. he arrived Story
at the hotel in Glencoe.
4. In the last few days he went fishing in the River Tay,
one of the best salmon fishing rivers in Scotland.
On the last day he visited Scone Palace, then Story
he got back in the car and drove south, and that was
the end of his holiday.
5. He visited Dalwhinnie Distillery where they produce
malt whisky. He saw how they made the whisky and
at the end of the tour he was invited to taste the whisky. Story
It tasted very good. The weather was still foggy and
wet when he came out.
6. It was his first time to the USA and he decided the
best way to see it would be to travel to California by
train, which he did. The train took 72 hours to get Story
there. Unfortunately the journey wasnít as interesting
as he hoped, but he definitely saw a lot of the USA.
7. He travelled across the Atlantic in a jumbo jet and
After 8 hours he arrived in New York. He had friends,
Peggy and Phil, in Boston so he took a greyhound bus Story
up there. He rang Phil from Boston bus station
which was very busy and dirty. Phil came and
collected him on his motorbike.
8. The weather in Boston was lovely and warm
and he spent the next few days walking around Story
Boston. After he had seen all the sights, he decided
to head west.
9. Last summer Nick went on holiday to Scotland for 3
weeks. He lives in Brighton but loves the mountains
and countryside. He packed his rucksack with Story
waterproof trousers and jackets and took some
mosquito repellent and one morning he got in his
car and drove north.
10. The weather cleared up the next day so he played
a round of golf in the morning at Dalmunzie, the
highest 9-hole course in Britain. The wind was very Story
strong so he did not play very well, but he thoroughly
enjoyed the game.
11. He went to the Grand Canyon and took a helicopter
ride over it. He also visited Yosemite Park and Death Story
Valley, and soon the 3 weeks were gone.
12. The first few days he climbed mountains near the
hotel. He was lucky with the weather and it didnít
rain at all. He met a lot of people and in the evenings Story
he ate and drank in the hotel before going to bed.
13. Then the weather turned bad; it was foggy and wet
so he decided to leave Glencoe and visit some other Story
14. He arrived in Los Angeles at 3 p.m. and hired a
convertible car. However, next day he changed it
for a car with air conditioning as the weather was too Story