Cause(s) close(s) drink(s) live(s) open(s) speak(s) take(s) place
Grammar card 1
1 Complete the sentences with one of the following verbs in the correct form:
Come get happen look make start stay try work
1. 'You are working hard today.'-'Yes, I have a lot to do.'
2. I ___ for Christine. Do you know where she is?
3. It ___ dark. Shall I turn on the light?
4. They haven't got anywhere to I've at the moment. They___ with friends until they find somewhere.
5. 'Are you ready, Ann?' 'Yes, I___.'
6. Have you got an umbrella? It ___ to rain.
7. You ___ a lot of noise. Could you be quieter? I ___ to concentrate.
8. Why are all these people here? What ___?
2 Use the words in brackets to complete the questions:
1. 'Is Colin working this week?' 'No, he's on holiday.' (Colin/work)
2. Why ___ at me like that? What's the matter? (you/look)
3. 'Jenny is a student at university.' 'Is she? What ___ ?' (she/study)
4. ___ to the radio or can I turn it off? (anybody/listen)
5. How is your English? ___ better? (it/get)
3 Put the verb into the correct form. Sometimes you need the negative (I'm not doing etc.):
1. I'm tired. I'm going (go) to bed now. Goodnight!
2. We can go out now. it isnít raining (rain) any more.
3. 'How is your new job?' 'Not so good at the moment. I ___ (enjoy) it very much.'
4. Catherine phoned me last night. She's on holiday in France. She ___ (have) a great time and doesn't want to come back.
5. I want to lose weight, so this week I ___ (eat) lunch.
6. Angela has just started evening classes. She ___ (learn) German.
7. I think Paul and Ann have had an argument. They ___ (speak) to each other.
4 Read this conversation between Brian and Sarah. Put the verbs into the correct form:
SARAH: Brian! How nice to see you! What (1) ___ (you/do) these days?
BRIAN: I (2) ___ (train) to be a supermarket manager.
SARAH: Really? What's it like? (3) ___ (you/enjoy) it?
BRIAN: It's all right. What about you?
SARAH: Well, actually I (4) ___ (not/work) at the moment. I (5) ___ (try) to find a job but it's not easy. But I'm very busy. I (6) ___ (decorate) my flat.
BRIAN: (7) ___ (you/do) it alone?
SARAH: No, some friends of mine (8) ___ (help) me.
5 Complete the sentences using one of these verbs:
Get change rise fall increase
You don't have to use all the verbs and you can use a verb more than once.
1. The population of the world is rising very fast.
2. Ken is still ill but he ___ better slowly.
3. The world ___. Things never stay the same.
4. The cost of living ___. Every year things are more expensive.
5. The economic situation is already very bad and it ___ worse.
Grammar card 2
1 Complete the sentences using one of the following:
cause(s) close(s) drink(s) live(s) open(s) speak(s) take(s) place
1. Ann speaks German very well.
2. I never ___ coffee.
3. The swimming pool ___ at 9 o'clock and ___ at 18.30 every day.
4. Bad driving ___ many accidents.
5. My parents ___ in a very at small flat.
6. The Olympic Games ___ every four years.
2 Put the verb into the correct form:
1. Jane doesn't drink (not/drink) tea very often.
2. What time ___ (the banks/close) in Britain?
3. 'Where ___ (Martin/come) from?' 'He's Scottish.'
4. 'What ___ (you/do)?' 'I'm an electrical engineer.'
5. It ___ (take) me an hour to get to work. How long ___ (it/take) you?
6. I ___ (play) the piano but I ___ (not/play) very well.
7. I don't understand this sentence. What ___ (this word/mean)?
3 Use one of the following verbs to complete these sentences. Sometimes you need the negative:
believe eat flow go grow make rise tell translate
1. The earth goes round the sun.
2. Rice doesn't grow in Britain.
3. The sun ___ in the east.
4. Bees ___ honey.
5. Vegetarians ___ meat.
6. An atheist ___ in God.
7. An interpreter ___ from one language into another.
8. A liar is someone who ___ the truth.
9. The River Amazon ___ into the Atlantic Ocean.
4 Ask Liz questions about herself and her family:
1. You know that Liz plays tennis. You want to know how often. Ask her.
How often do you play tennis?
2. Perhaps Liz's sister plays tennis too. You want to know. Ask Liz.
3. You know that Liz reads a newspaper every day. You want to know which one. Ask her.
4. You know that Liz's brother works. You want to know what he does. Ask Liz.
5. You know that Liz goes to the cinema a lot. You want to know how often. Ask her.
6. You don't know where Liz's mother lives. Ask Liz.
5 Complete using one of the following:
I apologise I insist I promise I recommend I suggest
1. It's a nice day. I ___t we go out for a walk.
2. I won't tell anybody what you said. ___.
3. (in a restaurant) You must let me pay for the meal. ___.
4. ___ for what I said about you. It wasn't true and I shouldn't have said it.
5. The new restaurant in Hill Street is very good ___ it.
Grammar card 3
1 Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct the verbs that are wrong:
1. Water boils at 100 degrees celsius. RIGHT
2. The water boils. Can you turn it off? WRONG: is boilling
3. Look! That man tries to open the door of your car.
4. Can you hear those people? What do they talk about?
5. The moon goes round the earth.
6. I must go now. It gets late.
7. I usually go to work by car.
8. 'Hurry up! It's time to leave.' 'OK, I come.'
9. I hear you've got a new job. How do you get on?
2 Put the verb in the correct form, present continuous or present simple:
1. Let's go out. It isn't raining (not/rain) now.
2. Julia is very good at languages. She speaks (speak) four languages very well.
3. Hurry up! Everybody ___ (wait) for you.
4. '___ (you/listen) to the radio?' 'No, you can turn it off.'
5. '___ (you/listen) to the radio every day?' 'No, just occasionally.'
6. The River Nile ___ (flow) into the Mediterranean.
7. Look at the river. It ___ (flow) very fast today - much faster than usual.
8. We usually ___ (grow) vegetables in our garden but this year we ___ (not/grow) any.
9. 'How is your English?' 'Not bad. It ___ (improve) slowly.'
10. Ron is in London at the moment. He ___ (stay) at the Park Hotel. He ___ (always/stay) there when he's in London.
11. Can we stop walking soon? I ___ (start) to feel tired.
12. 'Can you drive?' 'I ___ (learn). My father ___ (teach) me.'
13. Normally I ___ (finish) work at 5.00, but this week I ___ (work) until 6.00 to earn a bit more money.
14. My parents ___ (live) in Bristol. They were born there and have never lived anywhere else. Where ___ (your parents/live)?
15. Sonia ___ (look) for a place to live. She ___ (stay) with her sister until she finds somewhere.
16. 'What ___ (your father/do)?' 'He's an architect but he ___ (not/work) at the moment.'
17. (at a party) Usually I ___ (enjoy) parties but I ___ (not/enjoy) this one very much.
18. The train is never late. It ___ (always/leave) on time.
19. Jim is very untidy. He ___ (always/leave) his things all over the place.
Grammar card 4
1 Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct the ones that are wrong.
1. I'm seeing the manager tomorrow morning. RIGHT
2. I'm feeling hungry. Is there anything to eat?
3. Are you believing in God? no Iím an atheist
4. This sauce is great. It's tasting really good.
5. I'm thinking this is your key. Am I right?
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 1293